Chapter Four: The Tide Is High

A/N: I recommend you listen to the following songs while reading this chapter.

- The Tide Is High by Blondie

- Stay Together For The Kids by blink-182

- A World Alone by Lorde

- Family Portrait by P!nk

______________________________

After a good 20 minutes of Maya following Topanga Matthews (while taking extensive notes of everything Topanga said--and she said a lot) around the woman's law firm, the two wound up in Topanga's office, the long-haired woman sitting down in her office chair and smiling up at Maya.

"Think you got everything?" Topanga asked. "If you still have any questions, don't hesitate in asking me. Remember, you're an intern. I don't expect you to know everything. Now, if you were an actual employee in my firm, I would expect you to know everything. But for now, you are still learning." she reassured.

Maya nodded. "No, Mrs. Matthews, I think I got everything I needed to know. I should be fine." she replied.

Topanga smiled softly. "Please, call me Ms. Lawrence. Or Topanga, if you'd like."

Maya raised an eyebrow at the name change but nodded. "Okay." she agreed.

Topanga nodded. "If you'll excuse me, I have some work to do. There's already files and instructions waiting for you at your desk."

Maya nodded as she quickly excused herself and started walking towards her small cubicle when someone stopped her. "You're the new intern, right?" the blonde-haired, blue-eyed man in an impeccable, black suit asked.

Maya smiled proudly and nodded. "Yes I am—"

"Great! So I need you to fetch me and a couple of others some coffee." he said as he handed Maya a slip of paper. "There's a Starbucks down the street."

Maya's smile fell. "I, uh, I have work to get started on, actually and—"

The man chuckled. "Sweetheart, you're an intern. This is basically part of the job. Now get the coffee." he ordered before walking away.

In any other instance, Maya would've told that snobby man off. However, she needed this internship and she couldn't afford to lose it (not to mention her grandmother would murder her if Maya lost the internship her grandmother made sure she would get). So like a hard-working intern, Maya got in the elevator, muttering "come mierda" under her breath (Spanish cursing really helped in calming her nerves, oddly) and headed down to fetch coffee.

And as Maya's elevator descended, another elevator ascended onto the floor of Topanga's law firm.

Riley smiled and greeted the receptionist as she walked to her mother's office, knocking on the door before stepping inside. "Hi, mom." she greeted as she walked over to kissed her mother's cheek.

Topanga smiled at the kiss on her cheek and turned to Riley. "Hi, honey, how was the weekend at your father's?"

Riley hummed. "Good. He took me to the Field Museum." she smiled. "I like to see Sue, the Tyrannosaurus rex skeleton. She seems like she would have been a nice dinosaur." she mused.

Topanga chuckled. "What makes you say that?"

Riley shrugged. "You, me, and dad were always happy to see her when we use to all go to museums together."