Matthew Geist

Light peered through the window curtains, making small shapes dance around the room. A tired body groaned and reached for the curtain strings, illuminating the room completely. It was early in the morning, early for Matt at least. He stood in place and stretched, loud cracking noises resulted from some very weary bones. Matt massaged his shoulders and left his bedroom, heading towards the kitchen. Tike, his small ruby colored tegu was waiting for him on the counter.

"Good morning buddy!" Matt said, pouring food into his rather large friend's bowl. "The usual?", he snorted, amusing himself as Tike stayed silent, because he is an animal. He quickly began eating and Matt continued to the coffee pot.

"Oh wait a sec! Bud, come here," He yawned, rubbing his crust filled eyes. "I don't feel like doing this myself this morning." He opened a near by drawer and pulled out a match, striking it against Tike's dry scales. Tike, unfazed, continued eating. Opening a near by drawer, he picked up an incense stick. Placing it in its holder, he brought the flame to it and lit it, blowing the flame out when the smoke began rising.

It began to dance around the room, forming funky wave patterns and swirling around the kitchen appliances. Matt grabbed a mug and poured himself a cup of coffee, added some cream and sugar, and placed a spoon in. The gray smoke began to surround his mug, the spoon suddenly springing to life, stirring the coffee until it became a light chocolate color. He reached for his newly sweetened cup of coffee and brought it to his lips.

"Gotta love the smell of fresh coffee and incense in the morning!" He said to himself, laughing breathily and causing a bit of coffee to spill out of his mug. He shrugged and walked back to his bedroom, the fragrant smoke following suit.

The floor, if you could call it that, felt cool beneath his feet. His floor was made entirely of dirt. One may call it the ground, but one may also believe it depends on who you ask. Matt's house is a bit... eclectic to say the least. His home was built of tall cobblestone like walls, resembling grave stones. Not only that, his home didn't have a roof. He always has incense burning, so in a sense his house looks like one big chimney; but that's how he likes it.

While others may not share the same taste, it fit him just fine. Matt, a spirit-worker, prefers a more open look. The open roof allows him to have access to the sky, and better suited to hold the smell of the spirits that he may have kicking around. While they may not be physical entities, oh boy do they have physical smells. They are dead after all!

Matt uses spirits to aid him in his craft, that being grave stone carving. It's very laborious work, and having a few ghostly friends around to help sure does make the time pass. He also gets kinda lonely, and if you had the ability to conjure up a lunch buddy I'm sure you would do the same!

He, as well as the others you will meet later, have powers that surpass the abilities of the average person. Each one of them having abilities that directly benefit them, and are only found in a crisis; Matt is no exception. Whenever something truly dangerous or inspiring happens, one may find themselves with capabilities they were unable to utilize previously. While some discover theirs through a minor slip in the shower or after watching a particularly inspiring movie, Matt found his through a much grimmer cause.

5 Years Earlier:

"Hey mom, when are we going to get there?" I asked for the thousandth time. I'm not the most patient person, and being seat belted into an enclosed space for an hour is certainly not my cup of tea.

"Soon! Could you leave me alone for just a second, please?!" she responded in a harsh tone. We hadn't been driving all that long but it felt like a life time.

I love my mom more than anything, she's always there for me when I need her. Through think and then she always sticks by my side. I lost my father a couple years ago in a freak accident, and my mother and I had to stick together in order to get through it. We rarely left each other's side; and we didn't want to.