Michael Chrysocolla

"Well. Shit." I say, rolling back onto my stomach. I rolled my body a few times in an attempt to gain enough power to roll onto my back. After a few failed attempts and rather rocking-chair esc motions I settled.

"I can't see a thing!" I thought to myself. Lifting my left hand, I cracked my knuckles. My fingers began to glow as if I had activated a glow stick. I placed my fingers against my forehead and slid them down, slowly creating a small cluster of amethyst crystals which functioned as a head lamp. A small beam of violet light escaped ahead of me.

I looked around me. I was in some sort of cave. I motioned my hand over to my shoulder, dark patches of blood stained my feint yellow t-shirt. I grabbed my shoulder and the blood quickly hardened, forming into... bloodstone. Duh. With my newly acquired motor skills I stood up.

I began surveying the area. I was completely surrounded by rock, cave walls it seemed. I looked up, only seeing a fraction of a dot of the sky above me.

"I must be really far down." I thought to myself. I chuckled.

"I'll be back up there in no time!" I said as a kicked the wall, smokey quartz forming a stair shape as a result of the impact. I stood on it and steadied myself. Taking a small and drawn out step forward, another stone crept beneath my foot.

I picked up speed and began running around the walls, each footstep a new crystal forming under my feet and creating a spiraling staircase upwards. About halfway up or so I noticed something strange. Amongst the solid rock was a hole which resembled a door. I walked over to it and slowly peered in. I noticed that there was some sort of light source illuminating the hole, which seemed to veer left.

I walked in and slowly followed the light. I turned the corner and was greeted by a shallow pool of water, and a man.

"Hello." His deep voice boomed, so low it sounded like only a grumble. "My true identity is not important. So, you shall call me Jacob."

"Wow. Real threatening." I said, stifling a laugh. He snapped his fingers and the entryway behind me filled with stones, trapping me inside.

"What's going on here?" I questioned. I shifted my gaze from Jacob to the small pillars in front of him. Sitting on them were four objects. My head was forced back towards Jacob by some unknown force.

"Here," Jacob began. "You can see four ancient artifacts. Their purpose is unknown to you, but they will quickly become apparent. You are to choose one, and only one, to destroy."

I mulled the words over in my head,  and bent over to pick up one of the four artifacts. It was a small carving tool covered in ancient Hieroglyphics. I rolled it over my palms, and placed it back on the pedestal it came from. I took the next one, taking a great amount of strength to not drop it on the floor. I recognized it instantly. Moonstone.

I gently returned it to its home and looked at the third object. The small pedestal surface was covered with several small teeth, grainy and weathered in appearance. I chose not to pick those ones up. The final pedestal held something very strange. It was a small crystal, but depending on which direction you looked at it it would change form and take shape of a new one. Sort of like those holographic cards you would look in awe at as a child.

"Make your choice." Jacob demanded.

"I still don't see why-" I started to speak, but my mouth closed on its own. I scanned over the four object again. I had no idea why I was making this choice. I pointed to the crystal.

"And so it is done." Jacob cried, smashing them with great force.

"I still don't know who you are." I stated.