Camryn Borealis

I close the door to my office behind me, the sound of Emily's snoring coming to a close as it shuts. It may be morning, but that girl has at least four different nap times.

I pulled out my small wooden desk chair and sat down, the old wood creaking beneath me. My little set up stuck out like a sore thumb against the pillowy white foundation of Emily's house. I reached for a paint brush from my desk, which is also made of wood. I ran my fingers along the sanded down grains and closed my eyes. The contours of the wood began to glow, as did my paintbrush. A bright golden light created a halo around the small area within the room.

I put my ear buds and and began humming along to my music. Picking up my paint brush, I began to paint. I let my music inspire me.

I chose a deep blue shade and spread it across the page, being careful to match the flow of the music. Each change in rhythm was a new brush stroke, each song a new color. Hours went by as I got lost, the sun had set and the only light I was working with came from my glowing art utensils. When I finally came back to Earth what stood in front of me was a final product. Pictured on the canvas was a set of mountains, each a rich brown color. Behind them was the sunset. The sun, which peeked from behind the mountains in a canary yellow, illuminated the cotton candy colored skies.

At the bottom of the mountain was a small body of water, forming a crescent moon shape. I always seem to work some sort of celestial aspect into my artworks, force of habit I guess. I took the canvas off of my desk and placed it on a new easel next to several others.

I looked down at my hands and wrists which were covered with vibrant colors. My fingertips were a striking green, my palms a cool violet, and my thumbs a vibrant red. I clenched my fist and the colors began to disappear. My body began to take on the new colors. My hair took inspiration from the reds, my nails from the greens, and my face was covered in feint purple freckles. Cute!

I love colors. Everything I own commands attention with its appearance. Walking into my living room could be compared to an actual assault on your eyeballs, but hey. More color, more fun!

I looked across the room at all of my paintings, they spanned the walls like wallpaper. Sure, most of them were of sunsets or galaxies, but what can I say? A celestial witch loves her planets.

Let's take a moment to describe what being a celestial witch entails. I draw most of my abilities from the world around me, especially the stars and the moon. My main focus in life is to be creative, and I find that drawing from the stars or the planets I can create a better product.

On a more practical level, I can also control the time of day and the weather. Not ready to go to bed yet? Here's another hour! Needing a little rain to water the grass? Sure! However, I tend to only do that when absolutely necessary.

I quietly opened the door and crept out of my office, slowly leaving Emily's house and walking towards my own. It stood about thirty feet tall and swirled around like a slide at a children's play ground. I opened my front door and heard a quiet meowing noise.

"Oh, hey dude," I said, my cat rubbing his face on my ankles. "Let's get you inside, it's kinda cold out here". His little paws tittered behind me and he jumped onto my shoulder. I sighed and closed the door with some help from my new found parrot friend.

I glanced around the room, and my jaw dropped. The room was covered, and I mean COVERED with paint. Salem must've gotten into them and trailed footprints everywhere. He even managed to get them onto the ceiling and all over the crater like windows. And- dang it! Even on my brand new carpet!