16 - ALL THE RIGHT MOVES

Saturday morning came like any other day; bright and promising a clear blue sky, despite the chill in the air. An old battered truck eased slowly to a complete stop outside the Wheeler house, two kids silent in the car. Dottie Fields eyed her little brother, knowing he was still hiding something from her. Micky had briefly opened up about his friends' little adventure involving some girl with powers and her connection to the monster that was hanging around their house. She even knew he had snuck out of the house yesterday afternoon to follow them into the woods for some reason, but he wouldn't tell her a single thing now.

"You know, one word from me and mum will give you back your bike." Dottie noted quietly, having had played a part in his bike being taken away from sneaking out of the house yesterday. Micky sent her a glare in response. "Come on, Micky, tell me what's going on."

The boy crossed his arms. "You're not a part of the party."

Dottie didn't even know what that meant, but wasn't playing around with his games today. She had promised her best friend that she would try and discover more information about whatever these kids were up to, fearing it not only had something to do with the monster, but maybe with Will going missing and Marigold running away last year. "Well, you told me about the Demogorgon the other night, even mentioned how Will's not dead and that girl—"

"That was a mistake." Micky hissed across at her, knowing his friends hadn't been very impressed that he had spilled his guts to his older sister. "The party doesn't rat out friends. We don't share private information with outsiders. We don't turn on each other. We obey the rules, or be banished from the party."

A stretch of silence was passed between them, Dottie uncurling her hands from the steering wheel. She assumed this party was his group of friends, the boys that were hiding secrets from everybody. "Are you banished, Micky?" The question was almost a whisper, Dottie actually felt mildly guilty for being the reason his friends might be upset with him.

He shrugged his thin shoulders. "Dunno', maybe." With another frown thrown over at his sister, Micky was pushing open the heavy car door and slipping into the chilly air. He didn't mention that yesterday his party had followed their compasses into the woods or that Eleven had tricked them or how Lucas had been hurt. He didn't utter out another single word because there was a bond between the party members and he wasn't going to risk that again.

Dottie watched him walk across the trimmed grass through the passenger side window, her teeth biting down on her bottom lip with guilt. "Micky!" Suddenly, she was howling out his name and he twirled on the spot, his backpack jolting on his back. Dottie killed the engine and stepped out into the cold. Her little brother followed her towards the bed of the truck where she yanked out his blue bike. "Don't tell mum, she'll kill me."

Micky was already flashing her a smile,. "You smuggled out my bike?"

"Wouldn't want you losing your spot in the party," she admitted quietly, while setting her hands on her hips and giving him a matching glance. Her faded denim overalls were in place again and a melted candy bar filled the pocket, but she didn't remotely care because she had a bigger issue to deal with today. Although she was feeling guilty, stealing his bike from the shed was not just a play to make him happy, she had a different tactic. "Go on, do whatever you boys are gonna' do, but make sure to be home before dinner."

A mumbled thanks followed, Micky having no idea that Dottie had another little trick up her sleeve. When he was safely inside the house, along with most of his friends, she jumped back into the truck and drove down the street a little bit. She killed the engine once again, a safe enough distance from the Wheeler house. She almost felt bad about spying on her little brother, but pushed aside the dreaded thoughts because she knew deep down, following him and his friends was the only way to keep them safe.