Pills

I spring up from the bed when my phone goes off, signaling that he's here. I rush down the stairs, throwing open the door to exit the building. Then I book it to his car. I slide into the passenger's seat and he drives off. Just up the road to the convenient store parking lot. Off campus so we won't get caught and away from my nosey classmates.

He slips the bottle out of his center console, passing it over. I dump one of the little Xanax pills into my palm, examining its authenticity. When I determine it's legitimate, I take three more out and down them with a sip of water.

The effects take a moment to kick in, but after they do, I feel much better.

"You're going through those pills awful fast, Jay."

"If you try and tell me how to live my life, I swear I'll rip your throat out."

He laughs, watching as a young couple exits with slushies in hand.

"You're all bark and no bite. You wouldn't dare hurt your father."

"Try me."

"I'm just concerned that you may have a little addiction going on."

I shove the pills into my bag, opening the car door. I get out and slam it. The air bites at my skin as I storm across the parking lot, heading back to campus.

"Where are you going?"

"Back to the dorms!"

"Get in, I'll drive you!"

"No. Leave me alone."

"I take back what I said!"

I ignore him. How dare he accuse me of being addicted! That's for me to decide.

Okay, I admit it. I may have a little problem with the Xanax but not a huge drug problem.

Or do I?