Visits

I walk across the unfamiliar campus, bag slung over my shoulder. Countless people comment on my appearance.

"You cut your hair!"

"You got your nose pierced? It's a good look for you."

"Have you always had a tattoo?"

Just leave me alone!

That's all I want to shout.

I finally find someone who isn't concerned with my appearance and straight-out ignores me.

Just the person I want to talk to.

"Excuse me, can you help me find Emerson King's dorm?"

He eyes me up, clearly suspicious.

"Whatever."

I follow him as he leads me towards a beautiful stone building. He takes the stairs rather than the elevator, so do I. I make mental notes for any future visits.

Third floor.

Turn left.

Second door on the right.

He knocks, waiting for an answer. He looks bored.

The door finally swings open, revealing a girl with platinum blonde hair.

Her eyes widen at the side of me. A voice comes from inside the room.

"Who is it, Saph?"

The girl in front of me responds.

"It's you. But a strange version of you."

"What?"

Emerson appears in the doorway and now the guy also looks confused.

"What are you doing here?"

"I didn't know who else to talk to."

"So you don't speak to me for over a year and then you just show up one day out of the blue, expecting me to be your therapist?"

Her statement makes me feel worse than I already do.

"You're right. It was a bad judgement call on my part. I'll let you get back to whatever the hell you were doing."

I turn to storm off but her arms wrap around me, keeping me in place.

"Don't leave. I'm sorry for being insensitive. Come on in."

I enter her little dorm room. Two beds. Two desks. Two dressers. Everything put away and neatly organized. She motions for me to sit in the desk chair and I do. The guy also tries to enter, but Emerson blocks him.

"You can go now, Antonio."

"And miss whatever this is, not a chance."

"This isn't your dorm room. You'll get in trouble for being in a girl's dorm."

"I've made it two years without getting caught. Today won't be the day."

He nudges by Emerson, taking the desk chair across from me. The girl, Saph, sits on the bed next to my chair. Emerson closes the door, crossing her arms.

"Sapphire, Antonio, I would like you to meet my identical twin sister, Julien. Julien, this is my best friend Sapphire and the school jerk, Antonio."