Chapter Two - Exploration

Edd hesitated to move. The house was his to roam, yes, but what if it was a trick? What if Matt was testing him? Worse yet, what if Matt hadn’t really left? He shook his head to clear his mind of doubt, it wasn’t often he got a chance like this.

Silence fell over the house. It was as if time had stopped. There were no creaking floorboards, no doors opening and closing, Matt wasn’t humming an obnoxious tune, and there was nothing clanging about in the kitchen. All there was, was Edd’s racing heartbeat and ragged breathing.

“H-hello?” Edd called, rising to his feet, “M-Matt?” He nearly choked when he spoke the ginger devil’s name.

Receiving no reply the short boy assumed he was alone and safe. Legs shaking after not walking for so long, the chubby brunet waddled up the stairs and into the rest of the house.

The weather mocked him, outside the window the sun was shining, the wind blowing lightly but effectively. It was a nice day outside, and everything seemed normal, no one probably even knew he was trapped inside this house. Edd supposed the weather couldn’t be helped, the sun would shine regardless of what horrible things were happening in the world.

Something in the kitchen suddenly shattered with a great crash. Edd screamed, and was more than ready to run back down the stairs. “Matt? A-are you still here?” He called again. Once more there was no reply, at least not a human reply.

A cat came trotting out of the kitchen and strode up to Edd. This lithe silver tabby was so very familiar to the boy, so much so that he dropped to his knees in front of the feline.

“Ringo!” He cried, scooping the fuzzy creature into his arms, “Ringo you’re alive! I thought for sure he killed you too…” Edd wept, petting the cat behind his ears.

Lifting his head, Edd got his first real look at the house he once casually lived in, before Matt’s ‘incident’ that is. Nothing seemed out of place, same sofa, same television, if he hadn’t been there when everything went down, he never would’ve suspected anything went wrong here.

Curiosity flooded his mind and Edd wondered if his bedroom was still the same as before. Wandering down the hallway he stopped at the forest green door, his door. When he entered the room, Edd saw that, yes, everything was still the same as the day he was dragged away from it. The green duvet was crumpled in a ball at the end of the bed, empty cans of soda lined the top of his dresser, gathering dust, sketchbooks and pencils littered the floor and his cola stained desk. Not a thing was out of place, it even still smelled the same, like cola and pencil sharpening.

Edd mentally decided he’d mind being held captive a lot less if he was kept in here.

For a moment the room brought him a comfort he had not felt in awhile for sure, the feeling of normality it offered more than welcome. Edd wished things could be normal once more, he wished he still lived in this room, in a house with his three best friends, he wished Tom was still alive. Sure things hadn’t been perfect, Tom and Tord had their disagreements more often than not, but even so, it had been his, normal, life.

Edd felt the tears welling in his eyes and shook his head to rid his mind of memories. There would be plenty of time to reflect later, but not now.

“Come on Ringo, let’s get out of here!” He cheered, petting the top of the cat’s head once more before letting the tabby jump from his arms.

Quickly Edd moved for the front door, unsurprisingly it was locked, from the outside. “Dammit…” Edd murmured, but still he was not deterred. Soon he found that not only both the front and back doors were locked from the outside, but also that the windows wouldn’t open much more than one or two inches each.

Only one room had gone unsearched, simply because it was locked. Though, if the bloody handprints on and around the door were anything to go by, Edd probably didn’t want to go in there. His freedom from this living nightmare on the line, and potential escape on the other side of that door Edd decided he couldn’t afford to be afraid now.

“Where is that bloody key?” Edd hissed crossly under his breath. He felt like he had searched every corner of the house for that key. Bookshelves, drawers, chests, tables, even inside books! Still, the key was nowhere to be found. After much failed searching, Edd was close to giving up on entering the room. Perhaps he would remain here forever, just as Matt had promised he would.

No, he refused to stay here with that madman any longer. Spotting a stray paperclip on the living room coffee table, Edd figured that was his best bet and took it to unlock the door. Luckily for him, the doors in the house were locked with push-button locks, so all he had to do was unbend the paperclip and push it through the hole in the doorknob.

Immediately after the door was open Edd wished he’d never even seen the doorway to this room. In the middle of the room was Tom, or better yet, Tom’s corpse. Entrails caked in long dried blood spilled out of Edd’s once close friend. Tom’s ashen brunet hair, somehow still in it’s usual up-do, was stained a faded red from the blood. Edd’s other once close friend Tord hung from the ceiling; His left eye not more than an empty socket, his right leg was simply gone, and crude stitches were all that kept his head attached to his body.

Edd felt the tears rolling down his cheeks, he hadn’t even noticed that he was crying at first. He already knew they were dead, so why, after all this time, was he still so upset about it? Forcing himself to tear his coffee colored gaze away from his friends, the terrified boy noticed something he hadn’t when he first entered the room. The walls were covered from ceiling to floor in pictures of Edd, ones he wasn’t even sure how Matt got. Stepping over Tom’s body Edd approached the far wall, just to see what sort of pictures of him Matt exactly had.

Some photos were to be expected, ones that Edd had willingly let Matt take, before he knew the ginger was insane. Other pictures were far more unsettling; ones taken when he wasn’t looking, when he was sleeping, even a few when he was showering. Not one picture was from after he had been chained down in the basement.

All of it was too much to take in at once, and it seemed Edd noticed something equally new and disturbing every time he turned his head. The room reeked of blood and death. Pictures of him covered every wall. A pile of his favorite green hoodies he thought he’d lost lay in one corner. Drawings he had done for his once good friend stacked up in the opposite corner. This bloody room, and every gruesome detail within it would surely haunt him for the rest of his life.

Slowly Edd slid to the ground, hugging his knees to his chest. He knew that Matt would be home any minute and he knew if he didn’t leave now he probably never would, but Edd couldn’t bring himself to stand. His mind was reeling, just how long had this room been like this? Matt had been his best friend since highschool, but never once had the pale boy showed signs of this insanity.

Edd forced himself to stand, doing his best to ignore the pounding in his head or the bile rising in his throat. Quickly he scampered out of the hellish room, careful not to step on Tom.

A/N: Not too much to say here, sorry updates are slow, if I could write any faster I promise I would! I may go through and change most of the chapter art here soon, which will be done by my good friend Eddie! (HollyNederlander) also known as DieingArtist, and if you didn't know is the one who did the current cover art! Thanks a ton for the art and support Eddie! -Daybreak