Chapter 2

"Oh... The candle burnt out..." sighed William while he pursed his pink lips and blew against the dead flame, hoping to bring it back to life. Mason gently rubbed his back and swung open the shack door; the rust coated hinges of the mangled door cried out in agony as they were forced open, having not been used since the last blood moon.

Dread flooded through Will's heart as it begun to race in his chest once more. The fluttery beating almost audible to Mason and definitely audible to the other. "Sir... I-I think we should go back..." Stuttered the trembling male, tears spurting to his eyes as the terrible tragedies were conjured by his horrified brain.

"Nonsense!" grinned Mason, sauntering into the room. "Everything's fine! Honestly Cipher, you need to stop worrying about every little detail..."

Will had a right to worry about the forboding barn as, etched into the ground, lay a large pentagram with ancient symbols between each point of the star. He soon discovered this as the pale moonlight, peering in through the door, created a long beam that perfectly illuminated the dents in the floor and revealed it to them.

"Si-sir..."

"What is it now William?"

"Sir!" He exclaimed, pointing at the formation in the perfectly smooth soil. Mason strode over to it, curiosity luring him closer like a mouse to cheese in a trap.

While the caped male examined the symbol, Will scuttled into the center of it and tried to scuff out the large etching in the center, to no avail.

"Fascinating!" The brunet gasped, picking up a large, dusty book he's found near the marking. "This is absolutely fascinating! Must be some form of alchemy or... or maybe even some form of a historic ritual circle!" The usually stoic male had excitement flooding through his veins as he scanned over the tattered old journal - comparing it in his head to those of his uncle's creation; so much so that he didn't even notice William's shaking calls for him to put it down as it could have been dangerous.

Oh god was it dangerous.

"This could be revolutionary! William, you understand Latin, don't you?! Translate for me." He ordered before beginning to loudly attempt to pronounce the writing in the book.

All of a sudden, the boy was interrupted by a deathly screech just as he was finishing. The male whipped his head around to look at the source of the scream and there he noticed William, in the center of the circle with five burning flames glowing around it. Five... Five lit candles and a pentagram...

A demon trap.

A horrid mistake had been made and the last thing Mason saw before it happened was William, standing in the center with tears bubbling in his eyes as he desperately tried to reach him. A large blow of energy from the circle threw Mason off his balance and off his feet. He was blown against the wall and hit it with a heavy thud. As he trailed down the wall and lost his consciousness, he saw William give a cry out in agonizing pain, his face red and dripping with glistening wet tears.

'Beautiful...' He thought.

And reality faded.