Chapter 16: Vacation: Out With A Bang

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

2010

Mt. Justice

September 13, 9:30 A.M.

The Team, their allies, and the remaining members of the League had all gathered in the hollowed-out mountain. The League had broken the news that Batman, Robin, Artemis, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Hawkman, Hawkwoman, Red Tornado, Martian Manhunter John Stewart, and Hal Jordan were all officially killed in action by Tobi.

Due to the vacant spots on the League, the remaining members had called upon other heroes to join. Icon, Zatarra, Black Lightning, Plastic Man, and Red Arrow had all accepted the call. The Question had been asked to join, as a replacement for the Batman (that wasn't said out loud) Right now, the mountain was a place of mourning, remembrance, and tight embraces. The news that Tobi had burned up in the atmosphere only served to create an air vindictiveness.

Superman pulled a misty-eyed Aqualad to the side. "You said that you captured Shana, and delivered her to Bell Reve?"

"Yes, sir. She was a skilled warrior and fought with great intensity, but we defeated her in the end. I suspect that if I had not enlisted the aid of the others, victory would have been far more difficult to obtain, if not impossible." Kaldur fell silent, before speaking again, "We were lucky. Shana seemed to be distracted by something, and so not all of her was focused on the battle."

"I see. Thank you, Kaldur. You can go...now." Superman hesitated. He was about to say 'go mourn with the others,' but there was already enough of that going on.

"Thank you, sir." Kaldur returned to Wally's side, and the Kid Flash was quick to embrace his friend again. Meanwhile, Superman returned to the side of Wonder Woman and Captain Atom. It was downright empty without Bruce.

"There's something wrong here," Superman stated quietly.

"Tell me about it," replied Captain Atom. "A single kid flies through space in some giant humanoid, manages to kill half the League, and put the rest in the hospital almost, then flies away only to commit suicide in the atmosphere? I agree that something's wrong here."

"Well," Superman blinked, caught off-guard by the summary of recent events, "that's not what I was getting at, but you're not wrong."

"Oh. What were you talking about?"

"Tobi and Shana. Like you said, Captain, Tobi was powerful enough to...kill many members of the Justice League. After reviewing the fights, and compiling the data, we still don't know what the full-extent of Tobi's powers were. What I'm getting at here is Shana.

"If she is anything like Tobi, then the Team, and no offense to them, shouldn't have been able to beat her, even if she was distracted like Kaldur said she was. Even further, I think that what she was distracted by was the death of her boyfriend, Tobi, as he entered the atmosphere."

"Okay?" said Wonder Woman. "So the Team defeated a powerful metahuman child with the power to control fire, and was the partner of a boy with extreme abilities? Why are you worried?"

"I'm worried that Shana will break out of Bell Reve, and finish what Tobi started."

Wonder Woman and Captain Atom went quiet as they digested this news, before the Captain Spoke, "A valid concern, yes, but not one to put much stock into. Bell Reve was made for metahumans. Its walls were tested by you, and the collars there are strong enough to keep people like Mammoth, Blockbuster, Poison Ivy, and Icicle Sr. tame and docile. If it makes you feel better, we can set up a League shift at Bell Reve in order to keep a better eye on her, but I don't think it's necessary."