Epilogue

***AN***

Before you read, know that I am aware that this story was short and to the point and it will be rewritten eventually. I already have an idea on how to extend it, but if you have any ideas, feel free to leave them in a comment below.

********

"I can't believe you aren't attending graduation." McKenna's quiet voice broke through the receiver, followed by a loud crashing sound. "Sorry, Leo keeps tripping over his gown."

I pushed down the last of Liam's clothes, casting a long look at the diploma I had picked up early this morning resting on top of my computer desk. "It's okay. Remember to send me some pictures, alright?"

I heard quiet chatter on the other end before McKenna spoke up again.

"Yeah, of course. I love you, Pai. Have a safe flight, see you in a couple weeks!" the line went dead before I could respond. Slipping my phone into my back pocket, I fell back on the bed and stared down at the picture frames I'd taken down from my walls and laid across my bed to pack.

I stared at an old one-it had been taken at McKenna's thirteenth birthday party. She was still wearing the blindfold after hitting her pinata as I collapsed with laughter beside the big oak that resided in front of her old house. At the time, we had been inseparable and had even gone long periods sleeping at the others house.

As much as I'd like to blame her for us drifting over the last few months, it wasn't her fault and she definitely wasn't to blame. It had been close to seven months since I'd really been all there. My mind had taken trip after trip and drifted to faraway lands as I tried to prepare myself for today-the day I was finally going to leave this place.

The day I was going to say goodbye to the people that had harassed me for years, had believed every rumor Marcus spread about me. I was ready to leave everything behind, especially the Dryer's.

I had taken Marcus' request into consideration after his plead in the hallway outside my brother's hospital room, but I hadn't ever been able to feel a connection with Zane again, not like the one we had. He had abused my trust and lied, and it was going to take a lot longer than six and a half months for me to open my heart back up to him.

The six months hadn't been long, they had rushed by in a blur of exams and college essays and applications, as well as acceptances. I had offered to take my brother to physical therapy the last few months as well, even though I knew it would make it even harder on him when I left.

There just wasn't any part of me that wanted to see my brother struggling and feeling as if I had my hands tied behind my back. He deserved the world and here he was, never being able to walk normally again and I was the root cause of it all. That was something that caused far more pain than anyone else could ever throw my way.

"Do you have everything packed, sweetheart?" my dad asked from the hall, peeking his head into my bedroom. Even trying to shield his emotions, I could see the tears he was fighting back as he took in the reality of the entire situation.

"Yeah, just finishing up with Liam's stuff." I mumbled, avoiding eye contact. I had wanted to escape this town so bad I hadn't ever really considered how much I'd miss my family. They had been here through it all, and even if we had our arguments and disagreements, they were still the ones that were going to be here when I needed them the most.

My dad cleared his throat. "I think it's time, baby girl."

I zipped up the last of my bags and suitcases and threw Liam's baby bag over my shoulder.