Brothers

(A/N: I've cross-posted this on AO3, so if you've seen it there, don't worry! This story was based on a bunch of OTP prompts from tumblr, so enjoy ♡. ALSO—I should specify, these aren't all one shots, they're actually a series of events. I promise it gets clearer as the story goes on!)

University was expensive, so the best friends would do anything to help each other out.

Sora and Riku decided that if they were going to the same school, they might as well live together.

Riku and Sora had been best friends for as long as they could remember. Kairi had come in and out of their lives, but she had her heart set on a west coast university far from the dream college of Riku's, which was close to their hometown. Sora was a flexible boy, and he didn't know what he really wanted. It was totally up to fate, whichever friend he followed. He could've taken a year off to decide, but he ended up going with Riku.

So they shared an apartment.

It was 20 minutes walk from the Saint Michael's University Campus, but their climate was warm and both the boys were active. They didn't mind the walk. Sora, an art major, worked as a barista at a nearby Starbucks and Riku was juggling an unpaid internship at the law firm and being cashier at the liquor store. Sora knew he had a lot less on his plate, so he took care of Riku. He did most of the chores for the house, but he didn't mind. Although the only affection he had towards the other boy was nothing more than an unrequited crush, he still had a tender platonic love for him.

The two boys were coming home late one day with armfuls of groceries. They knew their neighbors on each side: to their left was a kind old man by the name of Mr. Xehanort, and to their right was a couple that did nothing but fight, all of which they could hear through the paper thin walls.

They didn't mind, though. They kept each other happy.

"Afternoon, boys," Xehanort was on the way out as they were arriving. He tipped his hat. "Always nice to see such callow youth."

"Nice to see you, sir," Sora answered and Riku offered him a calm smile. As they entered the apartment, the brunette turned around, leaned on the wall and covered his mouth. As soon as Riku closed the door, Sora released a little giggle. "Do you think he's ever gonna realize that we're not brothers?"

Riku smacked a hand against his forehead. "Sora. We don't even look alike."

"You goof." Sora smiled. "We kinda do. We both have blue eyes, you look big enough to be my big brother."

"The hair?" Riku cocked an eyebrow, lifting one of Sora's spikes.

Sora considered it. "You're the albino?"

Riku laughed. "Xehanort can think what he wants. He's half senile anyway."

"Riku!" Sora covered his mouth, shocked at what his often reserved friend said. "Shut it. You're pretty much a brother to me."

"Is that so?" Riku teased with little hesitation and, putting down his groceries, took Sora under his arm and rubbed the top of his head. "If only you'd learn a thing or two from me."

"You taught me a lot of things," Sora continued their back and forth. "Like... uh," he laughed. "I dunno."

Riku sighed and flopped down on the couch. "God, I'm spent. Wanna order something in for supper?"

Sora was putting their groceries in the fridge. "Yeah, ok. What do you want?"

Riku sighed. "Maybe some kind of pasta? I don't care, just get me whatever you're having."

Sora examined the menu on the side of their fridge for the cheap Italian place two blocks down. "I think I'll have the... uh... carbonara."

"Ew, not that," Riku wrinkled his face, looking through a stack of papers on their coffee table. "Ask them what soups they have on today."

Sora smiled and when he asked, they had minestrone and potato bacon, he knew that Riku would want the minestrone. His friend was asleep on the couch, and he didn't want to bother him.