New Kid On The Block

reedited 12/22/18

2nd reedit: 11/14/2020

s/o to the readers who knows what the title of this chapter means ;)

Benny's POV 

"Alright, meet same time tomorrow. See you guys!" Squints said and we all parted ways. Cassie and I were the only ones left. Cassie has been my best friend since 2nd grade. Ever since the big incident that happened with me and her cousin, she has always stuck by my side. Cassie is one of the only people I will go to with my problems besides my older sister. 

Cassie has always been there for me and I've always been there for her. There's something interesting about her that everyone notices when you first meet her. She has this dimple on her right cheek when she smiles really wide and a sparkles you can see in her eyes when talking to you. 

"Earth to Benny," Cassie called, waving her hand in front of my face. 

"Sorry, what were we talking about?" I apologized paying attention to her again.  

"I was telling you something, then I turned to you and you kinda zoned out." She chuckled. 

"What were we talking about again?" I asked. 

"Well, I'm not gonna tell you right now because you make a face when you think too much," Cassie chuckled. "What's going on in that head of yours, baseball boy?" 

 "Well for starters, I was thinking about you." I could've said. 

"I was thinking about baseball, you know...the usual," I nervously chuckled. "Baseball and more baseball." 

"Of course you were," She smiled. "Classic Benny." 

I totally wasn't thinking about you and your smile. That gorgeous, gorgeous smile. Get your priorities straight, man.

As we continued to walk and talk about baseball, we noticed a boy looking at us. When he noticed us looking back, he waved. He must be the new neighbor. I mean my mom did say we were going to have a new neighbor in the next week or so. Cassie waved and I just gave him a small nod. 

"Hey, I have to go. My grandparents are in town and we're having a family dinner," Cassie said. "See you tomorrow!" 

"Alright, see you tomorrow!" She smiled and kissed my cheek. Holy crap. Of course, we are bestfriend and very comfortable with each other. That was a 'see you tomorrow' kiss on the cheek as my bestfriend. Oh geez. 

The next day...
Cassie's POV

 My grandparents came down from Wisconsin for the week. My brother came down from college for the week too, so it was like family reunion. My grandparents always ask about Benny and tell me that we should be together. I ignore that comment because I know for a fact that he doesn't like me like that. 

Benny looked up at waved at me. He was talking to that boy who showed up at the sandlot yesterday. I felt really bad for him because the rest of the boys(expect for Benny) were laughing at him. 

"BATTER UP!" Ham exclaimed and we all got into position ready to catch the ball. Kenny pitched the ball and CRACK! Benny hit ball with that beautiful swing of his. "WATCH OUT!" Ham exclaimed. What does he mean by watch out? It was only us. I turned around to see the new neighbor. "AHHHH," He screamed and with that he tried to catch but fell afterwards. The guys began to laugh but Benny and I didn't. "It's okay, I'll get it!" He said. "Don't be a goofus, don't be a goofus, don't be a goofus," I heard him say to himself.