Chapter 11 - Rejection

Scenery was now basking in the late morning sun, heating the hot tar roads which curved down the sloping streets. The sides of the suburb roads were lined with tamed maple trees, their trunks guarded by thin fencing and roots sinking into the earth, as if they were hugging the land. Children rode on their bicycles towards the local park.

The heated season they currently basked in, using the wind coming into the moving car to cool down was always nostalgic. When they first met outside of school for the first time during that day in the park which felt like forever ago, the weather was like it was now. Spring was particularly warm this year, almost foreshadowing the coming season and it's full impact of sun rays and hot days to come.

Kanna turned her head, rubbing her hand lightly on her nose to chase away the pollen. "Hey Takashi, there's a lemonade stall just ahead of here if you want to stop by." Her voice hoarse and dry from thirst, she licked her lips in an attempt to fight the dry weather. Hot air whipped through locks of her hair, glancing over at the male beside her showed that the same was happening to him- both not big on using the air conditioner in the car. Both knew the comforting cool air would instantly lull them into a deep slumber, and in turn messing up their sleep schedule even more.

Letting a knowing smile show, he agreed without a moment's hesitation. The two stepped out of the vehicle and wandered up to the stand, feeling the warm breeze brush by to tickle the back of their necks. It was a refreshing feeling considering neither had bothered to stop by home yet, savouring their time together before reality crashed down upon them.

His masculine hand fixed his sleeve while conversation flowed, the fatigue from staying up all nice causing them both to be more touchy and talkative than normal. The park was always nice to visit at this time of year, walking along the winding paths as children chased fleeing basketballs across the courts. A small girl with wild curly caramel locks bounded up to the pair, Kanna's gentle hands returning the bright orange ball which had rolled up to her feet moments ago. Her gaze softened at the grin on the child's face, her wonder-filled curious eyes drifting between the pair before skipping back to her friends (mostly since they were complaining so loudly to her, whining at her slow pace).

The distant lemonade stand seemed to make their mouths water as it came into view, quickening their pace toward the haven that lay ahead. A familiar slim figure, adoring long caramel locks caught their attention as they approached the counter. "Hiromi." Takashi greeted as Kanna wrapped her thin arms around the other girl's waist, nuzzling her face into the crook of her neck.

Feeling every muscle in her body tense up, she diverted her gaze away from the two. Sensing this, the two pulled apart, one being more forceful than the other.

Suddenly, the breeze seemed to sting her neck as Kanna reached out to Hiromi, her ocean eyes covered by long strands of silky hair, shadowing her features. A sharp breath was drawn as she bit her lip and began to walk away from the confused duo. Eyes draw towards the scene, the silent tension seeming as obvious as a marching band. Not willing to accept this, Kanna leapt forward and clutched onto the wrist of her best friend, bracelets chiming like little bells at the sudden contact.

"Hiromi what's wrong?" she questioned, feeling her blood pumping in her ears and chest growing hot.

Without answering, the brunette forced her hand out of the pleading grip as she bolted away, turning a corner and vanishing from sight. The distant chatter of strangers merrily walking by became white noise to the teenage girl. Feeling her stomach twist and her throat close at a loss for words she was ready to chase after her best friend, until a firm, gentle hand pressed itself into her shoulder.

No more words were spoken as the two headed back to Kanna's house. However there were no words to say. What had caused that type of reaction? Did she do something wrong? Did something happen with her family?