Chapter 4: Reunions

Yang stops in the next morning to check up on her sister. "Hey Ruby, how are you feeling?"

"I'm okay, just really sore."

"So is dad really..." before she even finished the question the look in Ruby's eyes says enough. She sits on the edge of the bed and takes her sister in her arms. "Everything will be alright, Ruby. We still have each other." Just then, Qrow walks into the room. "Hey girls."

"Hey Qrow." they reply in unison. Summer follows soon after. "How's my little warrior?" Ruby looks down at her bed, not even bearing to look at the woman in front of her. Yang's expression, however, takes a different turn. First it looks confused, double guessing the person standing before her. Then her eyes turn a vivid crimson as her anger shows through her semblance. "You! We thought you'd died!"

"Yang I'm..." Summer attempts.

"You abandoned us!" Yang shouts, the hurt and anger clear in her eyes. "How could you leave us! I'd already had one mother leave, how could you do the same?!" Tears streak down her face as she berates the woman in front of her. Summer hides her face under her hood as tears drop, one by one onto the floor. Yang sees them and her eyes settle to their normal, lilac hue. "It was the worst decision I ever had to make. To leave behind my two girls, and the man I loved. But I had to, I just had to." Yang walks toward her and hugs her. Summer hugs her back. "I'm sorry I yelled at you."

"No, you have every reason to be angry. Your mother abandoned you and then a short while later I did the same thing."

"At least you came back. The fact you left doesn't matter anymore. You're the only parent we have left that cares. We can be a family again!" Summer gently pushes back from Yang. "Sweetie, not quite. The reason I left was because some dangerous people were after me. Now those same people might be after Ruby. We have to go away for a while, once I take them down we'll come home. But for now I have a mission to do and Ruby needs to go into hiding."

"No!" Ruby shouts. The two look over and see her hands squeezing the bedcovers. "I'm not running!"

"Sweetie it's..."

"I won't run away! I'm going to find the people that did this! I'm going to end this!" Summer looks over to Qrow and he scratches the back of his head. "She's a pretty strong fighter, with the right backup and guidance, she could probably hold her own." Summer sighs and sits in one of the chairs by Ruby's bed. "When you're better, I'll take you with me. But for now we need to stay low. I've arranged some shelter with some friends of mine.

Later that night, Ruby is released to home rest and they go to a house in the middle of the woods. Summer knocks on the door and a young boy answers. He has three scars running from his cheekbone and cutting across his lip and jaw.. "Hello Mrs. Rose. Dad told me to let you in when you showed up.

"Hello Aries. You've definitely gotten big." Aries smiles and lets them in. They sit down on the couch and Aries joins them. Ruby looks closely at him, as if she was trying to remember his face. "Ruby you remember Aries, you two used to play all the time before, well you know."

"Hey Ruby, you've definitely matured." Realizing the connotation of what he said his face goes red. "N-Not that way! Not that you haven't, but I mean you seem older. Fair enough the last time we spoke you were jumping on my back and asking for piggy..."

"What happened to you?" Ruby asks pointing at his scar. "Aries reaches up and touches it, running his fingers down the raised tissue. He then clasps his hands together between his legs. "Would you all, uh, like some tea?" He says, his voice shaky. Ruby sees the pain in his eyes and instantly regrets asking about the scar. He walks into the other room and fills a pot with some water and drops in some tea leaves. Ruby carefully follows him in. "Sorry I asked about the scar."