Chapter 11: Clarity

A couple of weeks pass and Aries’s wounds heal. Him and Ruby visit the field outside of what’s left of Lavandeville, the survivors leaving for the security of Vale. “Aries? How are you doing?”

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t angry. This was my home. Now it’s gone. What does senseless violence bring? Senseless death? But in time this can be rebuilt, but it won't be the same without Charlie’s place.”

“I’m so sorry.”

“He died defending his home, I don’t know if he would’ve wanted it any other way. C’mon, let’s get going. The more we delay, the longer until we find your sister, right?” Ruby smiles and they start to head back. They eventually arrive at the transport. Blake was out of her restraints but Qrow was close behind her. “Keep a close eye on her. She can create illusions of herself.” Aries says.

“Where did you guys go?” Qrow asks. Aries looks dead at Blake “Looking at what’s left of my home. My parents managed to survive, luckily they were in Vale when the attack commenced. But unfortunately a mentor of mine didn’t make it out.” Blake’s eyes fall to the ground, knowing who he means. “But I managed to find this in the rubble.” He holds up an old journal. “There was a note inside entrusting it to me if he died.” Aries puts it in his bag and climbs on the airship. “What’s in the journal?” Summer asks. “A collection of his experiences, thoughts, poems, and pretty much everything he’s taught me.”

“He must’ve been important to you.” Summer says gently.

“He taught me to stand by my beliefs. When I was older he began to teach me about the cycle of pain that has trapped this world.”

“What does he know of this pain?” Blake retorts.

“Charlie was just 5 years old during the last war. He lived in Mistral where his childhood was all but stripped away by the oppressive Mistral laws. He wasn’t allowed to dream, to be creative, to feel happy or sad, He had to hide his emotions. And his father died in the rebellion trying to free his family. I’d say that constitutes plenty of pain.” Blake goes quiet and just looks at the ground. “It was due to that war that he started developing his philosophy of peace through amacacy.” Ruby clenches her fist and glares straight at Blake. “Ruby,” Ruby looks over at Aries who is calmly looking straight across the aisle. “Your anger is misdirected. She’s just a pawn to Adam. Just as my brother is.”

“They tried to kill us, they destroyed your home, and killed your mentor.”

“All scars fade with time. I would be lying if I didn’t feel hurt, betrayed, and angry. But letting those emotions control us brings nothing but pain to our lives.” Ruby groans and stares at the ceiling.

The group lands at a bayside city in southwestern mistral. Blake holds out her hands expecting to be put back in restraints but Qrow shakes his head. “Aries told me you could be trusted. Against my better judgement I’ve decided to believe him. He believes that you can see the error of your ways. For your sake you’d better hope I think he’s right on that too.” They take up residence at a hotel for the night and Aries begins to cook with some aid from Summer.

After dinner, Aries decides to go on a walk and turns to Blake. “Qrow, I'm gonna take her with me. I want to show her something.” Qrow and Summer share a concerned look. “Aries…”

“I'll be fine.” Blake looks around and follows him.

Aries takes her close to the edge of town. A small diner glowing with a warm, amber glow. Blake eyes the road stretching into the woods. “Look at the diner.” She looks and sees a small sign on the door, paint still pretty fresh hanging on a brand new nail in the center of the door. “NO FAUNUS ALLOWED!” Blake clenches her fist. “I saw them hang it up this morning while I was clearing my head. A woman and her daughter wanted in, it was the daughter’s favorite diner. The owners shooed them away. When the daughter, with a broken heart, asked why they couldn't eat. The owners said thank your friends in the White Fang. All that battle bred was hatred. Every time you think Adam was in the right…” Aries places his hand on her back, his eyes shift amber and she sees the scene of the innocent girl crying. Unaware of why the people hate her. “...remember this little girl.” Blake covers her mouth. She leans down and reaches for the little girl, to try and comfort her when Aries lowers his hand and the scene fades.

He reaches into his coat pocket and pulls out a folded piece of paper, stained by its age. He hands it to her. “I forgive you, Blake.” She takes the paper and unfolds it. It’s It’s a letter, her letter from the day she left. “Now I'm giving you a choice. Go right and you can run. I'll say I couldn't chase you. Or we could go left, head back and you can atone by helping to save Yang and stop the greater evil at play. Blake takes one last look at the road leading out of town and gets to her feet. She looks at Aries and nods and they walk back to the hotel.