Section 8.2 of Chapter 8: Training and Interviews

8.2 - In the arena of the Tribute Training Centre-PJO:

        Annabeth had been surprised when Group B had come in, but tried to pay no heed to them. She hated the fact that she would be forced to kill some of them, even in her own group. But no matter, she was in the thick of the Games now, and the only way out was to do one of the things she knew best. Fight. They were in the arena, all of them, and there was a collection of assorted weapons on the ground. These included swords, daggers, spears, tridents, axes, clubs, and even medieval-looking flails. There were bayonets with no ammunition as well. Each Tribute had been warned by the Capitol trainers that if they killed one another, they too will be executed. One by one, the Tributes grabbed their weapons of choice. Most ended up choosing swords and spears, with few who went for the other options. Annabeth smiled as she knew how much damage her own dagger could inflict, and made a mental note to bring that out for the Games. She did not want to showcase her skill though, at the moment, so she picked a sword. The Capitol members said "Partner up", and immediately Percy was by her side. They had trained with each other for ages, and knew each other's fighting style like the back of their hand. 'Perfect', Annabeth thought. As the rest of the Tributes partnered up, Annabeth and Percy already began circling each other. Annabeth pretended to hesitate, so Percy struck first. She blocked his strike, sidestepped, and parried another attack. She started dodging his thrusts, and threw in a couple jabs of her own to tire him out. Percy, infuriated, skirted around trying to put in a few more strikes, then went for her hilt. Annabeth caught her hilt against his, then twisted, and Percy's sword fell. The next thing he knew, he was on his back with Annabeth's sword on his neck and foot on his chest. They both caught their breaths, then noticed that it was quiet. A little too quiet. No clashes of metal-on-metal, no grunts, not even heavy breathing like they were doing right now. Annabeth helped Percy up then looked around. Everyone had stopped their fighting to watch Percy and her duel, even the Capitol members looked impressed. Annabeth gave a small smile, then looked back at Percy. He had the same expression to match Annabeth's feelings, they were now either targets or people of interest, for their strength and skill was now known to all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------