Gatsby and the Crossroads Demon

The day began like any other. Gatsby was sitting at his table in his mansion drinking his tea and reading the newspaper. He was trying to decide what his next move would be to impress Daisy. He decided to talk his neighbor, Nick, and ask him to invite his cousin Daisy over for tea. He went to his room to get dressed and then went over to Nick's apartment to talk to him.

Gatsby and Nick were talking over what preparations should be in place for her to come over for tea. Gatsby wanted Nick's lawn to be mowed. He wanted to have many varieties of tea. Most importantly, Gatsby wanted Daisy to come alone. He wanted everything to be perfect for her. He wanted to impress her. That had been his true goal all along.

Later that evening Daisy came over alone, just as Gatsby had wanted. Everything was in place. Gatsby was nervous though. He had loved Daisy since he had first met her. The two talked late into the evening.

"How would you like to go see a movie?" Gatsby suggested.

"That sounds lovely. Perhaps we should invite Nick and Jordan to come along." Daisy replied happily. They agreed and then they left for the movie.

As they leisurely walked to the movies Gatsby couldn't help but feel chills down his spine. He felt as though someone was watching his every step. Gatsby shuddered and Daisy took notice.

"Gatsby, dear have you caught a chill?" Daisy asked looking at him questionably.

Gatsby smiled a sisyphean smile at her and responded,"I apologize Daisy it appears that there is a bit of a draft out here. Do you mind if we hurry inside?"

Seeing as the rest of the group had already disappeared into the theater. Nick and Jordan had already bought their tickets and were settled into their seats when Daisy and Gatsby entered. They sat two rows back from a man that resembled Tom. Daisy did a double take and frowned.

Daisy muttered to herself, "But he should be at home with the baby... and who's that girl... Maybe it's a friend of his?"

Tom then proceeded to wrap his arm comfortably around the busty looking woman beside him. Nick grabs Jordan and whispers something to her as he dragged her out of the movie theater. Daisy jumps up and marches toward Tom while Gatsby trails behind her.

"How could you?! You were supposed to be at home with the baby you hulking brute! And you're here with some easy girl who probably only stays because you have more money than her!"

Daisy was off on a tangent.

Tom tried to explain that Myrtle was just a friend and they were just hanging. Daisy was not having it. Gatsby tried to relieve the tension and only caused more strife. Finally, he just left and got a drink from concessions.

As he was standing there waiting for his drink he noticed a woman who looked somewhat out of place. The woman was dressed rather sharply. It was true that the cinema was a classy place but something about her was odd. Maybe it was her posture. Yes, that must've been it. The woman was calm and quiet she wasn't looking around or anything. In fact she was staring right at Gatsby.

Once Gatsby had made eye contact with the sharply dressed woman he noticed a green light that was outlining her body. Because of the green light he recognized who she was. He then began to panic. He left his drink on the counter of the concessions stand and ran back into the theater to get Daisy.

"Daisy, I'm sorry dear but we must leave now." Gatsby whispered in her ear. Daisy was too drunk to comprehend what he was saying.

"W-what? Why? The movie isn't even over yet." She slurred.

"We're in danger. We need to leave immediately." Gatsby insisted. Reluctantly, Daisy got up and followed him out the back way. They were in an alley and were headed back to his mansion. It may not have been the safest but it was the quickest way there. They were almost there but then the woman appeared in front of them.