Twelve: We're Committing Treason - Again

The next night, Sif, Volstagg, Fandral, and Sigyn all made their way down to the kingdom tavern where they found Thor and Heimdall already sitting at a table in the back. They were the only ones there.

When he had arranged the meeting, Thor said he had something of great importance to discuss with them. That was all he had told them so far.

"Why I have called you here tonight my friends," he began once they were all settled. "Is because I have something to ask of you, and that is treason of the highest measure."

"We have committed treason for you once before," said Sif. "For you, we will do so again." She smiled and batted her eyelashes.

Thor smiled back. "I thank you for your loyalty, good Lady Sif. Now, here is what I wish to do: Jane possesses the Aether and it is growing stronger within her, starting to consume her. I wish to take her to the Dark World, which will lure Malekith there for me to confront him - he will be waiting, and I will let him extract the Aether from her. Once it has left her it will be out in the open and vulnerable and I will destroy it."

Silence filled the room as his friends considered his plan.

"The Bifrost has been shut down, no one may enter or leave the realm, by order of the king," Heimdall reminded them.

"Yes, that is what makes our task difficult, escaping the realm. But, there are said to be hidden portals scattered across Asgard which can transport one to other realms."

"Yes, that is true," agreed Heimdall. "But they are known only to a few."

"Known only to one," corrected Thor. "That is another aspect which makes our escape difficult. That and the fact that my father has Jane locked up as a prisoner. We will need to get both prisoners out of captivity and escape."

"Both prisoners?" asked Volstagg. That didn't quite add up. The others were obviously thinking the same.

Thor nodded. "We need Jane as she possesses the Aether, and with the Bifrost shut down we will need someone who knows of one of the hidden portals: our second prisoner."

There was a moment of silence as this settled in. Sigyn bit back a curse.

"No," gasped Volstagg, suddenly realizing just what Thor had in mind.

"We're doomed," agreed Fandral, also catching onto Thor's plan.

"Thor, you're not really suggesting that we-" Sif shook her head.

"He will betray you," stated Fandral.

"He will try," agreed Thor. "I have already made it very clear to him that I do not trust him and that one more act of betrayal from him will mean his death at my hands."

"Are you sure there's no one else?" tried Fandral.

"Certain."

"Sigyn, you were close growing up. Did he ever show you-" Fandral was desperate for another solution.

But Sigyn shook her head. "He never did. He had his secrets, evidently." Even from me. This hurt, a painful ache.

"Alright," sighed Vostagg. "But what would be the point? Even if we are able to free Miss Foster and - the prisoners - and escape the guards who will likely be after us, we would all be caught the minute we set foot outside the palace-"

"That, my friend, is why we will not be escaping by foot," said Thor. "This is what I have planned: we will begin our escape at midday, in broad daylight-"

"Wonderful, then everyone can see us fail," muttered Volstagg.

Thor turned to the Gatekeeper. "Heimdall, you will call my father to the Observatory and reveal our treason to him-"

"What?" began Volstagg, but Thor continued on.

"-That will keep his act of trying to stop us delayed for that much longer and keep him away from the palace." He looked around at his friends who were listening and nodding. He continued. "Heimdall will be positioned at the Observatory. Fandral, I will need you positioned at the bridge. Volstagg, I will need you to be in the Great Hall to see us off-"

"And how will you be escaping exactly?" He'd said not by foot.

"In the Dark Elf ship." Everyone absorbed this. "And because it would be too obvious of an escape were I to go and free Jane -" He turned to Sif. "-Sif, will you take care of that?"

Sif bit back a sigh. "Of course." She forced a smile.

Sigyn was now the only one without a role in this whole scheme. "And what of me, Thor? What part do I play in all of this?"

"Well as you know, ever since the Aether absorbed itself into Jane, it has been consuming her. Until we can have it drawn out of her she will need extra attention. This being the case it would be hard for me, on my own, to look after her and give her the care she needs as well as keep an eye on Loki-"

"Which is critical," Volstagg muttered to Fandral.

"-So," Thor continued. "I wish for you to come with me and help me watch over them both."

Sigyn nodded - she saw his point. This, however, didn't make her any more fond of the details of his plan.

"But wouldn't it be just as obvious for you to go and free - the other prisoner?" asked Volstagg, as if scared to use his name.

"I did consider that and yes, I too believe it would be obvious. That is why I shall not be the one to free him either. I shall be readying our method of escape."

"But, with us all positioned as you have ordered us, who will free him?" asked Fandral.

The room fell silent again as all six pairs of eyes fell upon Sigyn. She looked back at them. Then her eyes fell on Thor. "I hate you."

(Haha very smooth Thor ;) More Loki in the next chapter - yay! Hope you enjoyed, thanks so much for reading!)