Corey and Joey

Corey had never been this nervous in his life. Not when he'd perform on stage, or when he had first asked Joey out a while back, not even when Slipknot was first signed.

Corey checked his phone shakily, reading the numbers on the screen. 11:23 it read. Corey would be there in about five minutes.

"Fuck," he whispered, his anxiety growing. What if Joey didn't want to see him? What if visiting would cause more pain?

Without even thinking, Corey parked his car in the usual parking space near the hospital. Looks like his debating time was up.

He took a deep breath before turning off the car completely, clutching the roses in his right hand. I have to do this...

He stepped out of the car, his body never stopped shaking.

~¤~

"His room is on the next floor. Number-"

"Yeah I know." Corey interrupted the woman, his anticipation practically unbearable at this point. He couldn't wait much longer.

"Alright well...you can go visit your friend."

Friend, Corey thought, mentally laughing, not after this...

The thought made Corey's heart ache. He had never wanted to hurt Joey. He thought his drinking problem would only affect his own life. But he was mistaken. He nearly killed Joey in the process of it all.

Corey clutched the roses tighter as more people filed into the elevator, trying his best to ignore their concerned looks. He looked like a complete wreck. even after shaving and trimming his hair and showering, he still looked torn.

The bags under his eyes were probably a dead giveaway...

When the elevator came to a stop, Corey zoomed out of the tight space, running down the hall as fast as he could. He knew he looked ridiculous, but he didn't care. Getting to Joey was all that mattered to him.

When he reached Joey's door, he stopped, the nervousness and hesitation fully enveloping him.

Just walk in. Don't even think about it.

He bursted in.

He cursed under his breath when he realized how sudden is entrance was, but stopped midway when he heard a gasp a few feet away from him.

"Corey..?"

His eyes met Joey's.

There was silence between them for a second. The two of them took the time to look over eachother's tired features. They could feel the intensity and magnetic force that was drawing them towards eachother, but they both kept their distance.

They couldn't just go back to where they left off. Because after all the events that had occurred because of this relationship, forgetting the events was the last thing they could do.

"H-hey Joey."

Joey's face crumpled with tears. "H-hi."

"How are you feeling?" Corey took a few steps towards the bed, "Are you still tired."

Corey was trying to keep the conversation light, but he knew he couldn't regard the real topic with both of them already crying.

"A-a little...but my body doesn't really ache as much.

"That's good."

There was silence between them again.

"Joey." Corey said quietly, and Joey looked up.

The pain in Joey's watery eyes made Corey's heart jolt. Not even Joey's words of assurance would make his guilt feel any better.

"Are you okay?" He asked softly, and Joey broke out into sobs.

"Corey I...fuck..." He put a hand over his eyes, "I don't have my legs anymore."

Corey's eyes widened. "What do you mean?"

"I lost control over them Corey. I don't think I can drum anymore."

Corey's tears fell faster. "Of course you can...You're Nathan Jonas Jordison. You can do anything. Isn't there a way they can fix it?"

Joey didn't reply. He cupped his hand over his mouth in attempt to stifle his sobs.

"This is all my fault." Corey whispered.

Joey didn't reply.

"If I would've talked to you about my drinking problems and not shut you out, you'd still be able to use your legs."

"They don't know how it happened Corey. You don't need to blame yourself."

"I could've killed you Joey!" Corey roared, sitting up, "This was all caused by me! So stop making excuses for me when you know that this is all my doing."

Joey looked away from Corey's pained and worn face. Deep down he knew Corey was right. But he didn't want to believe that it was Corey who made him this way.

Because he loved him. He loved Corey so much that it made his heart ache. He wanted so bad to believe that they could be together after all this. But he knew it wasn't going to end that way.

He would need physical therapy once he was out of the hospital. And eventually everyone would kick him out of the band.

Corey and his relationship wouldn't continue after this day.

"Corey." Joey whispered.

"Yeah?"

"Hold me."

And he did. He held Joey tight against him like there was no tomorrow. And they both cried. Joey cried because Corey wouldn't be his anymore, and Corey cried because he had almost lost him.

Eventually the hugging turned into passionate kisses and the words "I love you" being said over and over until their sobs silenced them.

When they parted, Corey rested his head against Joey's forehead, and said "Is this goodbye?"

With a shaky breath, and a couple of stray tears, Joey said, "Yes."