one

---

---

penelope's urge to leave early and go visit her mother was increasing with every tick of the clock.

she needed to check up on her mother whose health had been rapidly decreasing faster than either of them could fathom. with great age came great health complications, apparently.

when penelope walked out of the store at eight in the evening, she could still spot a silver of the sun peeking up above the horizon. the more she watched it, the more it drew her in, so she ended up plopping down onto the curb of the nearby empty parking lot to watch the sunset.

after about ten minutes, nature's watercolor painting turned into a starless black canvas. she took that as a sign to climb into her car.

her car wasn't exactly a lamborghini. in fact, she wasn't even sure what brand it was, to her it all didn't matter much.

it mattered more that her mother had scrapped together all of their savings to buy the used vehicle, the brands logo had been pulled off, leaving an oddly shaped dent. on the exterior near the wheels, large circles of rust decorated the fading navy blue paint.

it was an all too sad thing to look at, not to mention the funky fast food scent that would not go away no matter how many air fresheners she forced in.

the most prominent downside, in her opinion, was the motorcycle-like noise that roared to life whenever the engine was on.

even if she had tried countless number of times to sneak out the house more than a couple times, she would be caught all because of that motor.

glancing up at the time on her dashboard, she read the time nearly to be nine. she didn't want her mother to worry, so she scurried off and she may or may not have broken some speed limits driving to the hospital.

when she got inside an all too familiar scent almost welcomed her in, but there was nothing welcoming about a hospital.

just for the sake of it penelope kept track of the receptionist at the front desk. although, it was always dear old silvia brumley. the fifty-three year old whose hair appeared to look extremely healthy and nourished, which seventeen year old penelope always secretly envied.

"hey silvia." penelope said as her lips began to crease in the form of a smile.

"penelope, dear it's good to see you, again." even as silvia talked she emphasized on the word again.

"yea you as well, umm-- can i visit my mum." penelope wasted no time.

"room 181?" silvia shot back.