three

---

---

penelope's saturday hadn't improved much, she came to realise later as she sat on her bed, eating the second to last cookie out of a worn out tupperware container.

she permanently lived with her aunt and uncle because they were the closest family she had. her dad was never around and recently, no where to be found.

she preferred it this way because the thing about having an alcoholic father is that a father never truly exists. simply an alcoholic who could not stay sober long enough to raise his kids and mean something special to them.

penelopes life was a mess. a semi sorted chaos. her world full of chaos burned like a wildfire inside of her and it's exactly what she fell for. she fell in love with the warmth.

her uncle and aunt were no longer speaking, her siblings, she didn't have any, and finley, the childhood german shepherd she grew up with was, well, being finley.

the repetitive thrumming of her small paw steps could be faintly heard echoing up and down the stairs.

if it were any other day, she would have dragged asha out somewhere by now, but every year on the sixteenth of november they celebrated her youngest brothers birthday. asha and her family drove down to their great aunt's house for a family gathering, and wouldn't get home until at least fifteen minutes past eight.

penelope knew because asha complained to her about it nearly every year.

hey ash, you almost home?

not even half a minute later, her phone binged, she frantically reached over to look at it.

kind of, 27 minutes away. u good?

penelope sighed in relief. she was always so reliable, one of the many admirable traits that she possessed.

as good as i'll ever be. drive faster, idiot.

she could imagine her smiling that stupidly cute little smile of hers as she shook her head. they'd known each other for so long, that the bond they shared was a sisterly one. even her most subtle habits were known to penelope.

it wasn't as creepy as it sounded, hopefully.

i'm not even driving, calm urself penelope. i'll come over later?

if you can, please i'm bored out of my mind and you know aunt meredith and uncle paul are no help. if you can't don't worry about it.