promise rings

Bill sat beside his best friend at the quarry one day, when he noticed something on his hand catching the light. Bill picked the small boy's hand up, examining the ring around his finger. Eddie's face flushed deep red when he realized what Bill was looking at.

"Eds d-did R-R-Richie gi-give you th-this?" Bill asked, incredulously. Eddie nodded, excitement bubbling up inside. He'd been wanting to tell Bill about how serious he and Richie had gotten.

"Yes! It's amazing! He gave it to me last night- and he has one too!" Eddie exclaimed, a huge smile on his face as he remembered the previous night's details.

"Rich, what'd you get for number 4?" Eddie asked as he sat beside his boyfriend on his bed, doing the homework they'd been assigned days ago. Richie didn't respond, seemingly lost in thought. He'd been acting weird all day, fidgeting more than usual. He seemed nervous.

"Rich-" Eddie started again but Richie looked up and cut him off.

"Eds, I love you. I really do. You're the first person that ever made me feel loved like this... I've never been happier than when I'm with you. I'm not a very serious guy, but I'm serious about you. About us. I want us to last, because I can't imagine life without you. And I truly hope you feel the same way because..." And without another word, Richie pulled a small velvet box from his pocket and opened it, holding it out in front of Eddie.

Inside, there was a small silver ring. It was simple, plain silver with indentations around the side. Eddie noticed something on the inside part and looked, seeing his name carved into the metal. Then he saw that Richie had one on his ring finger as well, and Eddie's eyes teared up. Richie was making this promise to him. Someone was promising to love him forever. And that someone just so happened to be his best friend, who he was in love with.

Richie helped slip the ring onto Eddie's finger, it was perfect. Both boys were a grinning mess as Richie pulled Eddie into his arms. He laced their fingers, admiring the rings together and kissed Eddie's head. This was perfect. They were perfect.

"E-Eddie?" Bill's voice brought Eddie out of his thoughts, and he realized his eyes were tearing up again. He was grinning and twisting the ring around his finger.

"Y-You r-really love h-him, d-don't you?" Bill smiled, still admiring the ring that made his best friend smile so much.

"I do... I really do." Eddie giggled, wiping his eyes and grinning as his heart fluttered, thinking of Richie.