first day

I was shocked as a girl I hadn't ever seen before sat next to me, putting her bag on the ground and pulling out a book.

"Um, hi, uh are you new?"

She looked up at me, I guess not expecting me to say anything.

"No, why do you ask?"

"I just haven't seen you before, that's all."

She just shrugged at me, clearly not really knowing what to say. Maybe I was being weird about it, she probably just swapped classes and I was making a big deal out of nothing. But maybe I was just on edge after the weird events of the weekend, but I had a feeling that wasn't the case. Was it?

"So...you're new to the class then?"

"Yeah...I guess?"

"What class were you in before?"

Her eyes shot up at me before she defensively responded.

"Why do you care?"

"I'm sorry, I was just curious."

"Well mind your own business..."

Jeez...the hell?

After that I just turned to my own stuff and decided to just leave her alone. Class started and went on normally, but I couldn't stop myself from glancing at the girl next to me from time to time. This was all just so odd...I mean the teacher didn't even acknowledge that there was another student in the class. As soon as the bell rang, she got up quickly with her stuff and started towards the door. As she was walking, I saw a paper fall. I grabbed it quickly, running after her before she went into the crowded hallway. Unfortunately this turned into me running into her and her turning to me with a frown.

"You just, uh, dropped this..."

She looked at me skeptically before slowly taking the paper from my hand.

"Thanks."

Then she turned and left. But now I at least had something to go on.

Her name was Lindsey S.

~~~

Later, while I was sitting with a few other friends of mine at lunch, I turned to Wade while the others talked.

"Hey do you know a Lindsey S.?"

"No, I don't think so...why?"

"She's this new girl in my first period, I dunno, I'd just never seen her before. I wondered if you knew her."

"No, I can't think of a Lindsey S. Are you sure you don't mean Lindsey P.?"

"Yeah, I saw her paper. It definitely said Lindsey S."

"Hm, yeah that's odd."

"Yeah, I suppose we don't know everyone at this school."

"I guess not. And I can come around your place this evening, sound good?"

"Great."

~~~

I walked out of class and out the building as soon as the bell rang, but then as I glanced behind me I saw the girl walking a little ways behind me in the hallway. So instead of instantly going to my car, I waited outside the door to see if I could catch her. And as soon as she walked by and started toward the parking lot, I came up next to her.

"Hey!"

"Hi...what're you doing?"

"Talking to you."

"But why?"

"I figure I might as well get to know my table mate and I didn't really get the chance earlier, so..."

"Okay then..."

After that she stopped talking to me, but at the same time she let me walk beside her. So I figured that was better than nothing. But as we approached the parking lot, she started walking right by it.

"You don't have a car?"

"No, I just walk home."

"C'mon, let me drive you!"

"That's okay...no thanks."

"Please, it's no trouble."

"I said NO."

And with that she turned and walked off, leaving me to hop into my car with my head down. Shit. I blew it.