Silent

AN: This is right after the Stans went deaf. TC hasn't kicked them out yet, but him and their ma are arguing in the first scene. The Stans just can't hear them, so they don't know. Shermie does, though.

Stan stuck his tongue out as he dragged the marker across the paper. Him and Ford were in their shared room, coloring on the floor. Their world had been silent for almost a week now, and they had really taken to visual and tactile activities.

Stan tapped his twin's shoulder, proudly showing off his drawing. Ford smiled, returning to his own art before turning it around so Stan could see. Stan grinned, pointing at one of the characters and giving a thumbs up. The twins looked up at their door, seeing it slowly open.

Shermie came inside, carefully shutting the door behind him. He looked at his younger brothers and smiled, although a bit nervously, waving and sitting down across from them. Ford grabbed a nearby notepad and a marker, writing on the paper before showing it to Shermie.

'What's wrong?'

Shermie shook his head. Nothing. He looked around at the creative mess questioningly. Stan quickly jumped up to show Shermie his drawing, setting it in his hands and tapping the paper happily. Shermie nodded and smiled at Stan, ruffling his hair. The youngest brother giggled.

Shermie turned back to look at the bedroom door, frowning slightly. He stood up, walking over to the window and pushing it open. Cool air flooded the room, and Stan hurried over to try and look outside. Shermie looked out at the distance before turning to the twins and pointing out at the beach.

'You want to?'

Stan nodded excitedly, but Ford frowned questioningly at Shermie. Were they allowed to do that? Shermie shrugged, lifting Stan up and making him hold on tight to him. He climbed out the window before returning and getting Ford. The child clung tightly to his brother, keeping his eyes glued to the ground as they approached it. Once both twins were on the ground, Shermie took their hands and led them towards the beach.

The moon reflected in the ocean water, it and the stars above illuminating the beach. Shermie pulled out a flashlight, setting it up to light up the area where him and the twins sat. Stan grabbed handfuls of sand, giggling as it fell through his fingers. Shermie dragged a finger through the sand, writing out 'Learn 2 read lips?' Ford's eyes shone with the prospect of learning something new and he nodded excitedly.

'Let's do this,' Shermie wrote.

-----

Shermie lifted himself and Stan into the window sill. He saw their mom sitting nervously on the bottom bunk of the bunk bed. She stood up, looking at him and talking. Stan glanced between her and Shermie as they talked. He was set on the floor and Shermie hopped back out the window to get Ford. Stan looked up at his mom and grinned, grabbing the notepad and a marker. He scribbled on a fresh piece of paper and held it out to her.

'Red lips!' it said. Ma smiled at him, sitting beside him on the floor and hugging him close. When Shermie and Ford appeared in the window, Ford quickly hurried over to Ma, bouncing excitedly. She settled him down, turning to speak to Shermie. The teen nodded, leaving the room.

Ford looked around, spotting a packed suitcase on Stan's bed. He pointed at it and tilted his head at Ma. She wrote something in the notepad and held it up.

'Going on a small trip. All of us.'

-----

Stan whined when a pair of arms lifted him out of his car seat. He kept his eyes shut in protest, tired from the long day. Ford forced his eyes to stay open, looking around at the space. They were outside of a hotel. Some of his and Stan's clothes had been packed in a bag. But why?

Ma lifted Stan's glasses off his face, folding them and setting them in her purse. It was still odd for Ford to not hear the usual click that accompanied the action. Ford watched his mother, brother, and the person at the front desk as they got their room. His eyes stayed to their lips, attempting to read them and understand what was going on.

It wasn't working very well.

They arrived at the hotel room and the twins were set down on the couch. Stan blinked tiredly, rubbing at his eyes and looking around. Him and Ford looked at their mom, who was kneeling in front of them. She pointed at herself, made a heart with her hands, pointed at the twins, and held up two fingers.

'I love you two.'

Ford shakily made a heart with his own hands, grinning. Stan looked at his twin's hands and then at his own as he copied the shape. Ma laughed and pulled them into a hug. The twins looked behind her at Shermie, who smiled at the two of them. They smiled back.

Confused, but content.