Chapter 10

AUTHORS NOTE- I really could not make myself write in 3rd person, so I'm changing it to first person, I hope you guys don't mind! XOXO

"No, I can't be here," I gasped out, backing up, my eyes flying around the court.

"You're safe. Hey," he said, gripping my arm and turning me to face him. "You're safe, Clary. I'm here. Nothing is going to happen to you, I wouldn't let anything or anyone hurt you."

"You don't understand. The Queen hates me, I can't-- this isn't--"

"You may not be on hugging terms with her, but I am. I've already spoken to her about our arrival. I told you, I was invited. I made sure you could come too."

"At what cost?" I asked with a form of bite in my tone.

"I've done much for her. This was the least she could do for me."

"What exactly is this?"

"I'll explain--"

"And he arrives," an all too familiar soothing female voice said.

I turned to find the Seelie Queen as beautiful as she had been the last time I'd seen the bitch. Rolling my eyes, I crossed my arms and began glaring daggers at her.

Sebastian's hand touched my bare arm again as if saying to play nice.

The Queen's blue eyes darkened a little as they landed on me, yet a smile played across her lips.

"Look who we have here," she said, her voice full of control as if it was made of power.

"Nice to see you," Sebastian said, giving her a smile. She knew him well enough to see that there was a sort of tightness and strain to it. Somehow, that made me feel a little bit better.

"I was surprised to see you show. Didn't think she'd want to show her face here," she responded, her eyes studying me again as if she could very well see into my head.

"You are correct about that. I was tricked into coming," I said honestly, harshness laced in my tone.

"Well, if I were you, I'd be grateful for me allowing you to be here with the rights you have. Your brother," she strained on the word, "is usually the only Shadowhunter I allow to have full rights here. In fact, I think he's the only Shadowhunter even invited to these parties."

Not knowing or caring what to say, I didn't respond to that, giving the conversation to Sebastian.

"And for that, I am forever grateful. You do host the best parties in all dimensions," he gave her a wink.

She laughed lightly, her eyes sparkling at him, puffing out her chest in the slightest bit. Unease settling into my stomach, my eyes shifting between Sebastian and the Queen. They were both smiling at each other, the Queen flipping her long fiery red hair over her shoulder, her straight white teeth shining.

"Let's go get you a drink," Sebastian said, guiding me to the ballroom. "Lovely seeing you," he said over his shoulder.

I could almost hear the Queen scoff as she stalked away, leaving me smiling.

"What was that?" I asked him, not finding it in myself to look up at him, trying hard not to focus on his hand on my lower back.

"Conversation, sister. Believe it or not, some people actually enjoy talking to me."

I rolled her eyes at him, smirking. "Woah, really? I would've never guessed." But I quickly realized that my words were completely contradicting themselves. I found herself actually enjoying conversation with him. Not that I'd ever admit the words to him.