Freshman: Chapter four

Pairing: Armin x Eren

AU: modern

Warning: mature content, sexual content, bullying

Author note: these will be pre written chapters, but please feel free to correct me on grammar, spelling, etc. :)

~~~

The car ride home was silent. Mikasa and Eren sat beside their father, who was currently on the phone with someone from the hospital. Eren couldn't care less about what they were talking about. When the taxi driver stopped, the three got out, the father handing his card to the man, as Eren walked into the home. Mikasa was behind him, following a close distance, her face blank as usual.

As he closed his bedroom door behind him, he heard the door downstairs open, and the heavy footsteps of his father, as he climbed the stairs and into his room. Eren sighed and pushed his earphones back into his head, clicking the play button on his music.

~~~

Eren woke up, as usual, a little past 6:43. He stared up at the ceiling and sighed. I sigh a lot, he thought, weird. Soft tapping on his door, indicting Mikasa was outside of it, got him up.

"I'll be out in 5." Eren mumbled as he sat on his bed, running his hands through his hair and yawning loudly. He hopped up and picked up a pair of jeans and a tee with small rips and holes on the bottom where, from where his cat, Jasper, had scratched on. It was still wearable and looked kind of cool. Eren shrugged and slipped on his shoes, then hoisted his bag on to his shoulders.

"That was 6 minutes." He heard as he opened the door. Mikasa stood, in her plaid skirt and white polo, her messenger bag over her shoulders and arms crossed over it.

"Aye," Eren challenged and skipped steps, than turned into the kitchen. "...and?"

"I need to head to school right now. If you had woken up a little earlier, like I told you to do last night, I would be able to walk you home."

"I'm not 2." Eren sighed and bit into an energy bar, taking a sip of water as she stared at him. She shook her head and began to walk to the front door.

"Be safe on the roads, and don't die." Her voice echoed to him and Eren let out a grunt.

"Aye, aye."

~~~

Eren always liked when he walked alone to school. Mikasa wouldn't be there, trying to tell him how to walk or giving stupid instructions like "walk on the sidewalk, Eren." Or "look both ways, Eren."

I wonder if I'll see Armin today. Eren thought, Even if today wasn't that bad, and he probably wasn't going to touch, or talk to the small blond, Eren still wanted to see him. He was an interesting kid. He had weird routines, and different ways of talking. I may sound like I actually like the kid, but I could listen to him all day. His voice is different, and he uses a lot of long words. EW, I sound gay, Eren thought and made a face.

"You!" Eren stopped as a voice spoke out from the ferns and other groomed scenery beside the walking path. "W-wait..." It fumbled around and finally, after much grunting and grumbling, Armin fell from where his stupid sweater was caught, and onto the ground.

"Oh," was all that left Erens lips. "What do you want?" He let out a faux yawn and rested his hands behind his head.

"To... I want to talk to you." Armin let out confidently, but still very scared sounding. His eyes locked with Erens, a determination he had only seen Armin have when he was solving problems at school or listening to a teacher. It scared Eren a little, but he wouldn't let that show.

"You want me to hit you again?" Eren gritted out, rolling his eyes as Armin took half a step away, his bag being held to his chest, flinching to his face as Eren took a small step forward. "Okay, talk."

"Y-your name, its Eren, correct?" His bag lowered and Eren heard him gulp. "I'm Armin." His hand reached out to the brunette. Eren hadn't noticed his eyes were wide till he got feeling back in himself. He stared dumbly at the pale hand, his eyebrows and nose scrunching together. Why was he doing this? Doesn't he remember everything I've done to him? All the beatings and the name calling?

"When you greet someone," he stepped closer and grabbed Erens wrists, making him slightly flinch. Was... Was he touching me without being afraid? Erens mind roared in confusion. I should pull away. I should punch him in the throat and tell him he's a fag. I should! He again thought angrily to himself. "You shake hands." He gripped tightly with his out stretched hand. "Like this!"

Eren looked from their hands, to Armins face. He was smiling. Eren blinked at him and wondered. Wondered how someone like him could possibly smile at him, after everything, all the shit, he had put him in. How can he do it?

They stayed looking at one another for god knows how long. Erens eyes tracking down to their hands every few seconds, then back to his sky-blue eyes. How?

"How?" A small, high pitched voice broke from Erens mouth, scaring him a little.

"I-I... I don't know." Armin's voice came out in a whisper, more tamed then the brunettes owns. "I-I just guessed you needed some... needed someone." His pink lips formed again into a soft smile.

Eren was dumbfounded. How? How?! How?!? HOW!!! He could feel tears in his eyes and his throat clenching, again. His other arm shot up to his eyes. He wiped ferociously, I'm not crying in front of... In front of him!! Erens mind angrily reminded him.

He pulled his grip from Armin and licked his red lips, pulling his arm away from his eyes. He could feel the tears drop from his eyes and onto the shirt he was wearing. It was getting awkward and honestly, a little weird. He guessed this kid is an expert at being awkward and weird, because the next thing, he felt were two arms around his waist. What. The. Hell.

"It's... It's okay." Eren heard him mumbled as his grip tightened. "It'll be okay."

He softly whispered those words, over and over and over again. Eren involuntarily wrapped an arm over the back of the stranger. His face getting closer to a pale neck, as he buried his sobbing face into the nook, his other arm also wrapped around his slim waist. Is... Is this how? Is this how I get better?