XXII.

Perhaps it was my screams that jolted Viola back into her own mind. Whatever it was, before Stoker could do anything further, Viola wrapped her arms around me and we went up and over the wall. Gunshots followed, with Stoker roaring his frustration. A car flashed by, the wind selfishly grabbing at my hair.

"Come on Scar, stay with me," I hadn't realized that I wasn't supporting my own weight. All I could see was the blood that was now spilling from the mess that was my wrist. Upon realizing that I wasn't going to respond to her, Viola sighed and instead heaved me over her shoulder.

She ran across the street but she didn't use her speed. This allowed me to watch the blood drip across the pavement, leaving a trail. My eyes flicked upwards as fire rose into the air. I wondered what exactly was happening. Something terrible surely. Viola placed me on the ground, frowning as she struggled to figure out what to do next. I tapped her cheek with my good hand, "It seems that no matter what I do to try and protect you, it somehow backfires and you end up saving me."

She chuckled softly, "You've been protecting me all my life. It's my turn to protect you."

"You will be protecting her," a gentle purr washed over me, almost like caress, "Not only protecting her, but saving her. The guilt that she will feel when she grows old and leaves you alone. The fear that will be a blanket when you lose control and feed in front of her for the first time. You are saving her, protecting her from the horrors to come."

I blinked, Stoker's voice lulling me into a relaxed stated. Of course in the popular fictions starring vampires, I had seen how they had a strange way of hypnotizing people. I just had never – of course – actually though about it. But the more he spoke, the more I had begun to fall into an unwilling trance. As Viola's expression changed into understanding and hunger, I couldn't summon the fear that should've been there. Her hand involuntarily rose to my hair and eased my head back. Every part of me wanted to resist the movement but instead I went willingly. My neck bore a pulsing vein, Viola's mouth parted to reveal her fangs. My heart gave a single panicked jump. I was going to die. But maybe Stoker was right; maybe she would be saving herself by doing this. I closed my eyes as Viola's breath whispered against my skin.

A jarring bang ripped me from my relaxed state. Viola jerked and in one fluid motion, had me behind her. I peered over her shoulder to see that Stoker was still standing in front of us. But his eyes were void and a bloody hole tore apart his forehead. A few seconds passed and he fell onto the ground. Behind him was Echo, lowering her gun. A smirk carved her features. "I'm enjoying shooting him in the head way too much."

"Let's enjoy it more later," Jin jumped over the wall. Marek flew overhead, heading towards Viola and me. He circled once before floating near the edge of the freeway.

"He's already healing," Viola whispered.

I squeezed her arm, "We'll get away before he's able to function."

"There's a car coming. If we – " Echo began.

"Over here," Marek called out.

"Over where?" Jin asked.

I frowned slightly as I watched him. I looked at Viola then, simply knowing what to say next. "We're going to jump. I'm going to need you to protect me."

"Jump?" Echo's voice was full of surprise. But I wasn't look at her.

Viola winced, "But I almost – "

"I don't care," I interrupted.

She hesitated for a moment before nodding. Echo swore while Jin protested, "Wait a second."