Sherwin and the Unbreakable Spirit

Sherwin Prescott pressed his hands against the window of the train car and watched the scenery go by.

"Sherwin, sit down please." his aunt Cora said, glancing up from her book. "You could hurt yourself."

The ginger sighed. "But I want to see where we're going... Maybe I can go to the back of the train?" he gave the woman a hopeful look.

Cora looked over at her brother, Sherwin's dad.

"Just be careful." his dad said, giving him a small smile.

The boy jumped from his seat and raced down the aisle to the back of the car. He opened the door and stepped across the car connector and found himself in a storage car.

He walked hesitantly to the back and pushed open the door to a wonderful view. There he caught sight of a handsome stallion running with two other horses. They seemed to be racing the train.

The stallion turned his head towards a speechless Sherwin and seemed to give him a little grunt. The boy's brown eyes trailed to the tan horse's white stripe on his face. He felt himself reach for the horse just as the two horses from before ran away, revealing two cowboys.

The cowboys lassoed the stallion, just as Sherwin was pulled back into the car. He was spun around to face a worried and angry aunt.

"What were you thinking?" Cora asked, when he was back in his seat. "You could've fell off the train!"

"There was this horse... he was so amazing."

His dad smiled. "Really? Maybe you will see him again."

"I don't think so... Some cowboys lassoed him."

"Don't worry."

――――――――――――

Sherwin clutched his satchel tighter and moved closer to his dad. He looked around at the unfamiliar buildings.

His dad looked down at him and smiled. "I think you're going to like it here, Sherwin."

The ginger smiled shyly. He heard a loud neigh and turned to see the horse from the train pulling on the cowboys' ropes. "There's the horse."

The man followed his son's gaze. "He's a wild one. I'm gonna go see if they need help." he pulled away from the boy and walked over to the group.

"Finally a boy that has class."

Sherwin spun around to face a girl with the prettiest red hair. It was the color of the berries he saw growing in the park. "Hello." he whispered.

She gave him a warm smile. "You must be Sherwin Prescott. I'm Maricela." she straightened her dress, then held out her hand.

Sherwin nervously shook it and spoke again, this time loud enough for her to hear without straining her ears. "How do you know who I am?"

"Everyone knows you! Your dad owns the railroad."

The ginger's cheeks heated up. "Well... he doesn't really own-"

"Don't be modest. There is nothing wrong with stating your position. I am the mayor's daughter. See? That's not so hard."

Sherwin nodded. "I guess... um... what are the other kids like?"

Maricela's eyebrows furrowed in disgust. "They all smell like the stables." she resumed her smile. "I must go now. Goodbye."

Sherwin watched her walk away. "Bye..."

――――――――――――

Sherwin sat on his bed in his new room. It was bigger than his last one, but it felt like he was in a stranger's house. He pulled a framed poster from a box and smiled. On it was a picture of a woman with curly brown hair standing on one foot on a horse.