Sherwin and the Cowboy Next Door

It's been a few weeks since Sherwin moved to Miradero and his best friends, Pru and Abigail, decided to take him to the Fiesta. The Fiesta was a festival with booths and entertainment.

Sherwin sat on the back of Spirit, looking around at the booths. "Oo candy! Apples! And candy apples!" he cried looking frantically back and forth.

Pru chuckled. "Come on, Sherwin. We're going to miss it."

Sherwin tilted his head. "Miss what?"

"You'll see."

Sherwin followed the two girls -and their horses- to a forming crowd. He climbed off Spirit and made it to the front of the crowd just as music filled the air. He watched transfixed as a handsome boy with tan skin, dark brown hair, and eyes -oh his eyes! They're filled with the sky. He imagined what they would look like in the sunset, gold shining over the last bit of sky before the stars shined through.

Or maybe that sky will never go away, just light up more as the day turns to night.

"He's... amazing." Sherwin whispered leaning on the fence.

"We knew you would like him." Abigail said.

Sherwin was too caught in the boy to notice Pru gently elbow the girl.

"The game and food is fun, but the best part of the fiesta is the charreada."

"Charreada." Sherwin whispered, his eyes lighting up. "That's what my mama did in the circus!"

The boy hopped off his horse and made a lasso hoop big enough for a horse to go through. And the horse did! It jumped through.

"That's Jonathan, the best trick rider around." Pru explained, as Jonathan smiled one of Sherwin's new favorite smiles.

"Really? He's our age!" Sherwin said in disbelief.

Jonathan whistled and then stuck out his arm. As his horse came by, he grabbed the saddle and climbed on. He waved to the crowd -or to Sherwin, as the boy likes to think- then fell sideways, holding onto the saddle with one leg. He looked so at peace that Sherwin thought he was asleep. Then he grabbed the rein and stuck both legs into the air.

Then he did something Sherwin recognized instantly; the boy stood up on the saddle, his arms outstretched forming a T. He put one foot on the saddle of the horse trotting beside him. The rest, though not that exciting, was amazing. He leapt off his horse, took off his hat, and bowed.

Sherwin was lost in the clouds. He swore the boy looked up at him and smiled.

――――――――――――

Sherwin leaned against Spirit. "He was so amazing! I wish I could do what he does. Maybe I could try." he climbed onto the horse and stood up. He immediately lost his balance and fell back, knocking someone off their horse.

"Sorry! I was just-" he felt the person help them up.

"Ah, oye!" they said in another language. The ginger turned to face the boy that just stole his heart; Jonathan. "Estas bien?"

"I.. I don't-"

"Ah, English." he said, picking up his hat. "You and your horse are doing tricks?"

Spirit neighed in answer and nuzzled the boy's hair in encouragement.

"That was a good try."

"Thanks." Sherwin replied reaching up to twirl a lock of his hair. "I could use some practice. But you're... incredible."

"Gracias. I'm Jonathan." he said, tipping his hat.

"I'm Sherwin."

"Sherwin? Pero flor es un nombre apropiado para alguien tan hermoso como tú." he said, taking off his hat giving him a little bow.