My Dear Life

Prologue

From all the families i have to come from i am stuck with the most hard-headed, getting-your-own-way, and think-you-are-that-perfect family.  I might sound like im stuck with the worst fate possible but that description won't even suffice.  I happen to come from a royal family.

Though other people might say I was born with the stars shining down on me and should thank every saint for such fate i tend to disagree.  It's not easy being one.  There are a lot who I know would love to switch places with me, even those who are glad enough to say they are actually contented. It is of common knowledge that royal people get away with almost anything, except freedom of course. And that ladies and gentlemen is my point.

My name is Alexandria Maree Thenyssa Alvenovich Glendolin, Princess of Lanovie.

The Kingdom of Lanovie. Where is Lanovie? My humble little kingdom ruled by my grandfather King Jorge is situated at the the eastern tail of Sweden and Denmark.  It's a tiny little dot, quite inconsequential you can hardly see it on the world map, but my grandfather thinks otherwise.  It has always been a 'glorious little dot' for him. Our island lives on fishing and the usual crops, but in the turn of the century, like other European Countries we start taking in international investors to catch up with the worldwide trade.

Though other people would say modern royals don't play a pivotal role in society anymore my grandfather would be the exact opposite.  A stickler for rules, he has led his country to the modern world successfully without tarnishing the historical image of it.

The usual tourist would say it's like travelling back in time, the old world architecture, the cobbled streets and even the propensity of people to defer to their old king. And Oh man is he old. He's 75 but his thinking is ancient. But dear old grand dad didn't rub off on dad apparently.  For my mom, thanking all the saints for her everyday, is as common as any mom could get.  Daughter of a Russian Prince and an American Heiress she was born and raised in America.  Grand Duke Gavriil, one of those last known royals of the dissolved russian dynasty, my 'sane grandfather' as I was informed, gladly followed grandmama back to her country and devoted himself to the american lifestyle. You can see why Grandpa Jorge thinks my mother's blue blood isn't credible enough.

American by heart, she along with Crown Prince Geoffrey raised me and my brother in a royal upbringing but with a mix of patience and tolerance afforded to any child, turning a blind eye to our shenanigans and a deaf ear to grandfather's lengthy lectures. My mother's easy affability and  inherent kindess is the reason why she was readily accepted by everyone, even grandfather, he just couldn't admit it to himself. That sore..

"Disparaging grandfather again?" Matt, her 16 year old brother's voice came from behind. Startling her and making her jump from her seat, slamming her unfinished "tell-all" .  Alex calmly stood up and shot her brother a murderous glare

"Whoa...calm down." Blinking from the apparent death stare her sister was giving him, Matt backed off and sat at her lounge chair looking like the veritable young prince with the tendency for menace he is known for.  "Besides, you have every right to be angry with him, putting you and our parents in an awkward dilemma" he said with a nonchalant tone.

Sighing, Alex turned to pick up her notebook and the pen she dropped on the floor .  The notebook she just started writing in.  The one where all her thoughts and feelings are going to be buried, never to see the light of day for  it would be quite unacceptable for her rebellious nature to show now that she was 'old enough to understand one's responsibilities'. When she was young she was allowed to run free like any other child, but ever since she turned 13 and their family finally settled in Lanovie, leaving Chicago for good, stricter rules where employed.  Even with their mother and father trying to keep everything as normal as they could, some court orders and rules could never be avoided, and that means a King's order should be carried out as expected.

"Whatever happened to your lengthy protest and your opinion on obsolete practices of our grandfather?" Matt goaded.

"Shut up Matt. Don't test me. I have enough for today" I stashed my notebook underneath the pile of books on my study table. Taking note of hiding it later away from my brother's prying eyes. 

"My my...someone's loosing their cool..." laughed Matt.

"Matteo Ivenich Luthex..." their Mother entered the room. Overhearing Matt's efforts to make Alex lose it again. "Stop goading your sister! And shouldn't you be ready by now young man?" with a motherly swat in the butt she chased him out of the room.

"Alexa dear, Ive been waiting for you downstairs for a while now.  We are yet to fix your hair..." Crown Princess Tanissa in complete regalia crowded around her trying to fix an imaginary clothing malfunction.

"You look marvelous in that gown sweetheart, and if you let the maid coif that unruly hair of yours we can actually start the party already"

"The dress is fine mother, is there anyway we could do away with the traditional hairstyle?" Alex said, along with tying her hair up in a ponytail showing her it's fine  as it is.

"And wear it like that? You do realize we have guests from overseas?" with a little tug she managed to drag Alex out of the room.

"Mother....Mom....I need to talk to you about something" digging her heels on the carpeted floor and slowing them both.

"If this is about our promise not to throw you a coming out party then I am sorry....your father wants this as more as I do. Your grandfather wants to officially announce you and it is about time Alexa." With a last tug on her corseted gown, she trailed behind her to her private quarters, unable to tell her what she overheard at grandfather's study earlier.