Appendix: TATTOO TRIVIA

AUTHOR NOTE:

HUZZAH!  Lou's Tattoos goes live on Amazon and the other popular book sellers on December 1 -- just two days from today, as I write this.  A huge thank-you to those who have already pre-ordered the book for delivery on release day.  

Before we move on to Chapter 31 today, enjoy these excerpts from Appendix 2 of the book: Tattoo Trivia

Before we move on to Chapter 31 today, enjoy these excerpts from Appendix 2 of the book: Tattoo Trivia.  Happy reading!

~o~~o~~o~

Origins

"From a simple scientific standpoint—tattoos are created [by] the insertion of colored materials beneath the skin's surface or epidermis. The first tattoos were most likely created unintentionally. Someone with a small wound or gash happened to rub it with a dirty hand that was covered with soot or ash. Once the wound had healed, they realized that the skin had healed over the ash and that the mark became a permanent addition." (http://tattootemple.hk/the-guide/history-of-tattooing, accessed 9/28/16)

"Skin was the first canvas for art. Sticks and other pointy objects were the first paintbrushes. Tattooing was first a form of scarification. This involved wounding oneself and packing dirt or ashes into the scrape or cut to discolor it permanently. It is believed that prehistoric man cut holes in his skin, charred sticks in the fire, let them cool and then applied the black substance to the wound to create tribal markings." (http://www.thetattoocollection.com/history_of_tattoos.html, accessed 9/28/16)

"As tattooing involved pain, blood and fire, primitive man believed the process released sacred life forces

"As tattooing involved pain, blood and fire, primitive man believed the process released sacred life forces. The letting of blood was also associated with a sacrifice to the Gods. The symbol or animal form of the tattoo was thought to bring one protection from attack from that very same animal.

"Tattoos were also used to bring one's soul in alignment with God's purpose, increase virility and fertility, ensure the preservation of the body after the death and delineate hierarchies and roles within tribes. For instance, a tribal chieftain would have a very different tattoo than the individual in the tribe who was thought to bring them all bad luck." (thetattoocollection.com)