PART ONE

This story / characters are based on the MCU. No particular timeline from the MCU.

I do not own these characters (I just write them as a way to love them and care for them).

This story gets the good Captain's LANGUAGE warning.

The December air was crisp and dry, difficult to breathe in, even for a super soldier with healthy lungs. Steve listened to his shoes make cracking sounds on the pavement as he walked on the sidewalk in midtown Manhattan. The early snowfall this year was already making everything in the city look parched and pale, even in the dark. His heart was already heavy on this Christmas Eve, just as it had been each year since he was found encased in ice. Christmas made him miss his parents and the way things used to be, it made him feel alone in the world. He knew that was untrue because he had a closeness with the Avengers, his new family, but nevertheless, part of him longed for days gone by. He dug his hands deeper in the pockets of his black pea coat, put his head down, and picked up his pace.

Steve needed to get out of his own head so he forced himself to look around instead. Christmas lights and trees were everywhere. Wreaths were hung on doors, people walked quickly with packages in tow. Anyone who was out at this time on Christmas Eve was in a hurry to get somewhere now. He couldn't help but smile as he watched a young girl try to keep up with her mother but instead getting continually distracted by the beautiful store window Christmas displays.

"Steve!" a voice called out behind him, pulling him back into the now. "Steve, wait up!"

He stopped and turned back only to see a beautiful redhead picking up speed as she walked towards him, a smile plastered on her face.

"Merry Christmas, Nat," he grinned at her as she stepped up to him, carrying a large shopping bag.

"Merry Christmas," she said happily. "What are you doing out and about? Why aren't you already at the party?"

"Just coming from Brooklyn. I was walking around... trying to relive the old days, I guess," he confessed.

"You okay?" she asked, her brow furrowed at him.

"Yeah," he said, it came out with a little laugh as he looked at her and smiled, his eyes wrinkling around the edges. "Much better now," he added as he reached for her shopping bag and extended his elbow so she could take his arm. "Let's go get warmed up," he said and they walked towards Stark Tower, which was now only a few blocks away.

They were chatting as they walked and unusually unaware of things going on around them. Steve stopped in his tracks when he heard a voice call out, "Look at that ass, it's just so round and OUT THERE!" He looked around for the person despicable enough to cat call Natasha on Christmas Eve. But Natasha just laughed to herself and put a hand on Steve's chest to calm him down.

"Hey!" Steve said, a little growl in his voice. "Have a little class, don't talk to the lady like that." Steve wasn't even sure where to direct his comment because he didn't see anyone around. He and Natasha were the only ones in the vicinity that he could see.

"I wasn't talking to HER."

"Hi, Wade," Natasha called out with a little laugh.

"Hey, Red" a man's voice echoed down from a rooftop across the street as Wade Wilson popped his head up from behind the decorative cornice of a building.

"Is that that Deadpool guy?" Steve turned to ask Natasha quietly and she nodded as she pursed her lips together.

"Merry Christmas, Wade," Natasha shouted. "You coming in for the party?"