PART TWO

Steve felt his face getting hot and he cleared his throat, "Nat, do you—"

"Romanoff," a voice cut in from behind Steve.

"Happy," she said, giving him a nod and trying to be stern. But for some reason, she wanted to laugh.

"Come on, let's dance," he said and he pulled her away. She looked back at Steve and shrugged. She was confused because she was under the assumption that she and Happy didn't get along too well. She was also confused because she was starting to feel like she'd had too much to drink, although she didn't think one drink was enough to make her feel this way.

"I'm on it," Maria said into the comm to Sam and Wanda. She was closeby to Steve.

"Come on, Rogers, come dance with me," Maria smiled.

Steve was actually glad to see her, seeing as he was standing there all alone now. He followed her to the others dancing. He felt like his face was hot but he didn't feel nervous about dancing with Maria. He was trying to understand why he felt warm and giddy.

"Get closer to Nat," Sam said into the comm. "Make this work for us."

Maria changed direction and walked right up to Happy and Natasha. She and Steve started to dance and they felt eyes on them. Looking over, Natasha's face was looking over Happy's shoulder and she was making a face at them as if to say 'help me' with a furrowed brow. Her face was overly animated. They looked down and saw how snugly Happy was holding her. Steve stifled a laugh as Natasha pursed her lips at him, watching him try to hold back and his eyes crinkle up. He looked at her and gave her a nod, meaning he was going to save her. He just needed a plan. "I got it, Steve," Maria said, leaning close to him.

Maria tapped Happy's shoulder, "Can I cut in?"

Happy let go of Natasha and Natasha caught her breath and looked at Steve. He put his hand out to her as Happy started squeezing Maria. "You owe me," Maria mouthed to Natasha and Natasha doubled over trying not to laugh. Natasha put her hand in Steve's and gave him a smile just as a bit of a commotion sounded from the other side of the room and everyone looked. "The elevator's stuck," someone said loudly as a few people waited for the doors to open.

"Be right back," Steve said to Natasha as he went to check it out. Sam and Tony also walked over to see what was going on.

"So close," Wanda whispered.

Steve and Tony looked at the elevator which now seemed to finally be moving up to their floor. Steve was fully prepared to spread the doors open himself but everything seemed to be in order now. The doors opened and Ben and Alicia stepped off the elevator. Ben was wearing an enormous grin as he looked at Tony. Tony looked into the elevator and saw pebbles scattered all over the floor and he sighed. "Looks like the elevator's working after all. Ughhhh."

Steve laughed and patted Tony on the back, finally turning back to look towards the dancing. He looked for Natasha in the crowd and he found her, but she was already dancing with someone else.

"Johnny," Steve said to himself. He walked away so he didn't have to watch Natasha dance with him, heading for the bathroom.

The crowd stopped moving as everyone started to watch Happy dancing with Maria. He had her dipped backwards and he kissed her neck. Near the bar, Bucky was talking to Pepper, obviously flirting with her. Tony growled to Sam, "What is this? It's like pon farr around here..."

"The fuck?" Sam scrunched his face up.

Tony looked at Sam dryly. "Okay, that joke would have killed with Bruce."

"I'll get him for you," Sam said, heading towards Bucky. Sam's patience had run out about 10 minutes ago.

He walked across the room, muttering to himself. "This isn't working, ladies. And Maria, dear God, I am sorry about what you're going through right now, sweetie." He looked out at Maria being squeezed by Happy and she gritted her teeth at him. Then he saw Natasha dancing with Johnny. "Ahhhhhhh, shit," he said. "Why is she dancing with Johnny? Where's Steve?"