1.11

I wake to a snowflake touching my cheek.

We lay tangled under our clothes, that he had draped over us as I fell asleep last night,

Panting, hot, sweaty, 

Exhausted, but

Happier than I’ve ever been in my entire existence.

My hair is slightly damp, the grass tickles my bare skin. My body felt sore, and throbbed in places I didn’t even know about.

Then there was his steady heartbeat, the curve of his neck, the firm arms wrapped around me, pressing my bared breasts to his chest. Messy dark hair that I know feels like silk, long, boyish eyelashes, beautiful proportions.

Sculpted lips that kiss so hungry and taste so wonderful. For a moment I forgot about my aching body and felt like I could fly.

Did last night really happen? It must have, but I kissed him anyway, in case this was all a dream and I would wake up, cold and alone on another plane, with no one to chase my loneliness away.

Zach kissed me back, and I jerked back in surprise. His eyes were bright with laughter. “I almost fell back asleep waiting for you to wake up.”

It wasn’t a dream!

“Zach.” I felt a million times happier just saying his name.

He pulled me back down, brushing my lips, softly,. Heat spread like a wave through me, his fingers stroking my back, leaving lingering trails of fire on my skin.

His lips in my hair, tracing the lines of my face, gentle hands tilting my head back to bury his face in the hollow of my neck. “Cammie, oh God I love you.”

“I love you too,” I whispered against his lips, meaning it with all my being.

But we have to forget all this when we wake up.

Even in my blissed-out state, I couldn’t ignore that. I forced my arms to pull me away from him. I stared straight into his jade eyes, and I could see that he knew what I was going to say next.

“If I tell you to get away from me and leave me alone, will you listen?”

Zach touched my face. “Don’t be stupid. I’m coming with you even if you napotine-patch me again. I’m coming even if you chop my legs off and dump me in the ocean.”

“You won’t live through your twenties.”

“I don’t care.”

“You’ll be staying in a lot less comfortable places.”

“I’ve been in plenty of ‘uncomfortable’ places in my life, and you know that.”