Chapter 17: Let Me Be The One To Save You

"Um I'm here to see Luke...it's kind of important."  I stammered. 

She tried to shut the door, but I put my foot out to stop her in the process.  I was tired, it was late, and no one was going to shut the door in my face.  

Luke quickly rushed over and put his hand out to touch the demon girl's shoulder to calm her inner rage, "Babe, could you excuse us for a second?" 

She rolled her eyes and gave me one last angry glare, "You have 3 minutes, and don't you dare step foot in my house" she said, motioning to me.  

"Luke, go outside and talk." she demanded, giving him an angry side glare and shoving him by the shoulder, onto the porch.

Luke really needed to get a new girlfriend.  I saw the way she treated him in the mall that day when I went dress shopping with Amber, and clearly nothing has changed.

As soon as Luke set both feet on the front porch where I was standing, she slammed the door.  Both Luke and I cringed at the impact of the door against the door frame.  

We stood their awkwardly for a second, Luke fiddling with his lip piercing before speaking, "Sorry  about her..."  We were interrupted when demon girl whipped the door open again, this time she was holding a cigarette between her long manicured finger tips.

"I can hear you.  2 minutes.  I mean it Luke." she snapped

The door slammed again and Luke waited a second before reaching in his pocket for a piece of paper.  He quickly slipped it into my palm, making sure his girlfriend wasn't looking through the window at us.  He handed me his phone and motioned for me to type in my number.  I quickly typed it in and handed the phone back to him.  

"Let me know how it goes."  he whispered, as we heard the girl scream Luke's name from inside.  He gave me a sad smile and waved, as he slipped back inside to his hell of a house.

I walked back to my car, and unfolded the piece of paper.  Across the small piece of paper was an address scribbled in red ink.  As much as I wanted to rush over to this address right now, it was late and I had work the next day.  If Ashton didn't come to work tomorrow, I promised myself that finding this address would become my new mission as soon as I finished my work day.

As soon as I walked into work the next morning, I went down the hall and pushed Ashton's office door open.  I expected to see the messy haired boy, with his black rimmed glasses, his feet up on the desk, texting, but instead all I found was the lights in the office off and the black swivel chair empty.

I went immediately to the front desk where my secretary, Kelly was sitting.  Kelly looked exactly like a Barbie doll.  She had straight platinum blonde hair, dressed in the girliest outfits, and always had bright pink lipstick on.  We've been friends for years, ever since I landed my first internship at the company.  

"Good morning Kelly"  I said, giving her a warm smile

"Good morning Miss. Winslet.  What can I do for you this morning?" she was extremely alert, even for this hour in the morning.  

"Could you please tell me if Ashton is coming in today?"

She frowned, "No he won't be in today Miss Winslet.  He called out late last night.  I received the message this morning when I checked the voice mail."

Just as I was about to thank her and walk away she called my name, "Miss Winslet?"

"Yes?"  I questioned, turning around to make eye contact with her

"Is everything between you and Ashton okay?  I've noticed things have changed a lot between you two.  I've always considered us close friends and if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here for you."  she said with a sweet smile