Chapter 2

I met Maddox on a Wednesday. I had been going over Tommy's schedule with him when Maddox walked into the office after a quick knock. Startled, I had simply stared at the gorgeous man in front of me, whose bright eyes never wavered from mine as he addressed Tommy. I liked that.

He was there to discuss a business partnership with my boss. Tommy asked me to sit in the meeting and take notes. This was normal, so I didn't question it. Neither man moved to enter the meeting room next door, I realized this was a personal meeting. I knew Tommy must want this to work out. Maddox would be an amazing asset to our company, but Tommy didn't let on anything. Acting as if Maddox needed us, and not the other way around.

Somehow, I feel that Maddox was humoring the old man. When I later looked through my notes, I realized that it wouldn't be an equal partnership. Ours would be the lesser man. So why would Maddox pursue us? I had to find out.

With all my research in the forefront of my mind, I approached Maddox as he entered the office the next day.
As soon as I stood in front of Maddox, my thoughts escaped me and I froze up like a deer awaiting a speeding car to run it down.

"Ms. Lilly Wellington, I'm pleased to make your acquaintance."

Oh, my Lord. He's teasing right? I almost snorted when he gave a slight bow.

"Mr. Kingsley, I-"

"Maddox." I stared, blanking for a moment.
"Right Mr. Maddox-"

"It's just Maddox to you, Lilly."

He had to know I wanted something, and was out to annoy me. I desperately wanted to glare at him, but it was 'bad manners' according to Tommy.

"Fine," I growled "It doesn't matter. I just wanted to talk to you about this-"

"Kingsley! I don't have all day!" Tommy hollered from his office, earning a glare from me and, surprisingly, a growl from Maddox. "Lunch?" He raised a brow in question. I gave a terse nod in reply. "To discuss business."

"Business." He agreed with a smug smirk that gave me butterflies.

Suddenly I wasn't so sure that I wanted to know.

~~~~~~~~~~

Please comment and vote