Chapter 4 *REVISED 2020*

The Denied Mate: Chapter 4

I walked into my apartment, throwing my keys on the counter and walking into the living room plopping down on the couch. What just happened? I was overwhelmed and drained, which seemed to be the new normal. My mind was swirling at everything that had happened in the past month. If someone would've told me that Lucas would be causing such a direct impact on my emotions five months ago, I would've laughed in their face, rolling my eyes. As much as I hate to admit it, he was always on my mind, but never like this. He was always a presence, a background thought, but I never let it, let him play such a big role on my emotions, at least not anymore. The last time I had cried this much over Lucas was back when I was 19 years old. Megan and Carter had just discovered they were mates and we were all celebrating. My eyes glazed over as I felt myself getting transported back into the past.

***

I smiled widely, watching Carter whisper something into Megan's ear making her giggle like a schoolgirl. I was so happy for Megan. It was something she had wanted ever since she was a little girl. The room grew quiet as Carter clinked his glass; his arm wrapped around Megan's waist. "I'd like to make a toast," he said, looking down at Megan and smiling softly before looking at the rest of us.

"Growing up, the word mate always freaked me out. My mom and dad always emphasized the importance of finding a mate. They would always tell me that the day I find my mate would be the day that everything changed for me. It would be the day I start my life, and the day that things make sense." I felt my chest constrict slightly. I discreetly looked around for Lucas, hating myself for even checking. I gasped quietly as I finally spotted him and made eye contact. I dropped my eyes quickly, looking at Carter as he continued.

"While it was romantic and everything, it was something I was not ready for. I was only seven for god's sakes," he said, making everyone laugh. He continued, a slight smile on his face. "But even though I was scared, and young, I knew that the day I found my mate I would be in for the ride of my life. I knew that the moment I met my mate, all the wrongs in the world would feel right, and that my life would have meaning in it." Megan blushed, putting her face in his chest. "Never in a million years did I expect to have a spitfire like Megan Jacobs turn out to be my mate," Megan's head snapped up and she gasped, hitting him lightly on the arm, making the crowd chuckle again. Carter laughed, looking down at her with a twinkle in his eyes. "You didn't even let me finish Meg," he muttered making her smile sheepishly and mutter a sorry.

"As I was saying, while definitely unexpected, Megan has been the greatest surprise of my life. Not once did I think someone seven years my senior would have such an immediate and intense impact on my mind, body and soul. There's no one else that can take my breath away by just looking at me, or make time stop when she laughs. No one who can make me laugh as hard or smile as large. There's no one I would rather preside over this pack with. No one I would rather call my mate and our Luna. So, here is to you, Megan Jacobs. Today and every day." He said, raising his glass. "To my beautiful mate, Megan," Carter said proudly.

"To Megan," everyone said, before cheering loudly. I saw Megan whisper an 'I Love You' to Carter before he kissed her on her forehead. I smiled at the two, silent tears falling down my face. I felt eyes on me, and I looked back up to see Lucas staring intently at me, an unreadable expression on his face. His mouth fell into a tight line and he turned around, walking through the crowd and out of my sight.

My eyes fell as I yet again, watched my supposed mate walk away from me. My mark burned as I felt my sadness and anger spike. I wiped my eyes angrily. Cassia! I scolded myself. Today is about Megan, not you. I stayed around for another hour or so, congratulating Megan and Carter before excusing myself, feeling my heart about to give out. I walked quickly out of the pack house and walked to my car, breaking down once I had gotten safely inside of it. I sat in there for hours, ignoring looks and curious glances. "Why me?" I asked myself out loud. "Why can't I ever be the girl that gets the guy?" I whispered. I shook my head, telling myself this would be the last time I cried over Lucas Marcatto and drove away, my body growing number with each minute that passed.