C H A P T E R E L E V E N

Hermione Granger

It had perhaps been a week since the incident with Draco, I had long forgotten about it but the embarrassment is still engraved into my tiresome body. Work had been incredibly busy lately, a dishonourable worldwide prisoner had escaped from Azkaban and the aurors are constantly on high alert, it was worse than when Sirius had initially escaped...

Me, being Minister, am forced to give orders left, right and centre. The job was everything I wanted and could have ever dreamed of when I was younger, and don't get me wrong, I'm so incredibly blessed, but it can be stressful.

I need to remind myself that I was forced to grow up too soon, I have seen horrors in my youth that no one should be subjected to and yet I was. Many of today's youth had either fought and lived through the war or they had died trying, the entire wizarding world came together as a community to stop Voldemort and as a nation, have suffered and climbed the rocky road back to rehabilitation.

There are days where I think back and wish I had lost that letter many years ago, wondering if my life had been any easier had I not known the truth, but that's not my reality. I'm meant to be here, sitting in my personalised office and deciding where to place the aurors in order to protect my people.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts as I hear a raking of knuckles on my door, looking up from my papers in front of me I am instantly relieved to see the beaming face of my best friends. Dressed in their signature uniforms, they waltz into my office and plop themselves onto two chairs they made out of thin air in mere seconds.

"Mione! We've got loads to tell you! When Ron and I were just going out for a fly on our brooms, we went over a few mountains and we saw this little light. I thought nothing of it but then Ron had this brilliant idea so we went and checked it out!" his expression was so ecstatic, it was heart-warming to see both Harry and Ron to wear expressions of pure happiness after everything we've endured throughout the past few years.

"After we landed we quietly scoped out the area and believe it or not, there he was! Barnabas Woodsjung in the middle of the woods! We got him, Hermione!" The redhead took over the conversation, his freckles looking stark against his pale skin and his elated expression.

"Oh my goodness! Hats brilliant! I can't believe you caught him - I mean I can, you two are the best the Ministry has but – I'm speechless!" neither of us could contain our excitement and soon enough Ginny had joined, by her arrival I had already contacted everyone about the capture and they too were celebrating.

I was in the middle of pouring the boys a class of victory champagne until a silver glimmer caught the attention of my eye, it was like the breath had been knocked out of my chest. I too caught the attention of his wondering grey eyes, the world slowed to a stop as I took in his jagged appearance and just as quickly as he came, he left. My responsiveness was cut back into reality as I took in the confused appearance of both males and the frantic expression on Ginny's face as she ripped the bottle out of my hands, looking down I was met with a large stain of alcohol spreading across my wooden desk.

"What happened!?" I opened my mouth to mutter an apology but my mind couldn't comprehend that he is here, in my building. One part of me wants to go see him and apologise to him, another wants to kick him out for saying those hurtful words that are still etched into my head.

Making the decision against my better judgement I left my friends waiting in my office without another word and started my conquest on finding the rude but mysterious man. I started down the hallway and around numerous corners, I was about to pull open the door to Blaise Zabini's office until I felt a hand tug at my own, a fraction later there was a wand being presented to my jugular. I gulped at the sudden movement but instantly relaxed when I found myself getting lost in the becoming familiar eyes.

"Why are you following me, Granger?" The words were spat out at me, anger written ever so clearly across his pale face.

"I have every right to visit my colleagues, you honestly thought I was following you? Please, you would wish. Now I would appreciate it if you would lower your wand" I laughed with as much venom I could muster, much to my discomfort, he didn't oblige. Instead, he hardened his grip around his wand and I had to keep myself from physically shrinking away from his touch.

"Not so fast, mudblood. Don't you dare lie to me, do you take me for a fool!?" I let out a scoff at the old insult, is that really all he had resulted in calling me?

"Oh Malfoy, your insults are nearly as weak as you are. I would ask if your daddy had taught you any others but we both know he is too busy keeping from the dementors in Azkaban" I could see him faltering beneath me, his anger was also growing. I knew I should stop but I couldn't

"I wonder if they have managed to suck any of his soul yet? Or is it impossible to find any happiness in his cold heart?" I had noticed the lowering of his wand and took this as my opportunity to stalk toward him, his frame moving backwards. His mouth was opening and closing, trying to get out any words but failing miserably too. Taking one last breath I let out the final part of my abuse.

"Now, before you do anything that you will regret, need I to remind you that I am Minister of magic and if you so much as pull your wand at me again, I will ensure you land in the same cell as your disgusting excuse of a father." Before I could comprehend any of the words that had just escaped my mouth, I left Draco looking stunned and stalked back to my office, chest rising and falling rapidly as I came to the conclusion that I am certain I just ended whatever little game he was playing.