Chapter 46 - Collisions and Conflicts

Our journey across the New World Sea to reach Dressrosa to say the least, was full of expected mayhem. To this day, it seemed we were yet to experience a voyage without something wanting to either kidnap us, or kill us. In the short time we were at sea, we'd suffered an attack by sea monkeys as well as a nightmare fiasco in a floating circus.

Besides our uncanny luck in finding ourselves in trouble, as well as the amount of mayhem Luffy managed to get us into on a daily basis, it was a miracle that we had survived up to this point. Considering Luffy's being a magnet for trouble, the crew and I were on the brink of hiring a priest, to see if they would have any luck of cleansing this hyperactive man-child we called a captain of whatever curse he held. 

Aside from our adventurous run-ins with several suspicious characters, the weather had been as cooperative as you would expect, considering we were sailing within the New World. From stormy seas, to hurling snowstorms, we had been plagued with bad weather since our departure from Punk Hazard. So when we had woken up this morning, besides Zoro of course who had volunteered for the nightshift, we were pleasantly surprised by the shining sun and clear skies that greeted us. We all, including Law and our Wano Kingdom companions, had taken the chance to dress lightly and have breakfast out on the grassy lawn, enjoying our last few moments of peace before we would have to disembark at Dressrosa, seeing as the island was within sighting distance at the present moment. 

I had chosen to sit on the low hanging swing as the others sprawled out over the expansive deck, taking advantage of the cooling shade the branches and leaves the young tree on deck provided. Whilst I enjoyed the warm weather as well as the next person, I wasn't willing to stay under the bright sun for long periods of time, not wanting to burn or sweat so early on in the morning. Zoro seemed to not mind either way, seeing as he was leaning against the deck wall not too far from where I'd sat, his swords at his side as he napped peacefully, the sun's rays brightening his tanned skin to an even darker bronze, a shade that suited him too well, seeing as I was having a hard time looking away from the dozing man. 

As we all made light conversation, we were interrupted by the News-Coo, the seagull-like bird which made the daily newspaper runs. Law was quick to grab the paper and read it out loud, as Nami went to pay the creature that patiently waited for its payment. It seemed that Doflamingo had honoured Law's requests, despite how unwilling I thought he would have been. Printed in bold on the front page was the condition Law had laid out for the return of Caesar.

The abdication of Donquixote Doflamingo from his position as both the ruling monarch of Dressrosa, and as a Shishibukai for the World Government.

"I should warn you," I started, interrupting the momentary silence that befell the crew at the news, "Doflamingo isn't the type of person to take such demands lying down, despite how desperate he might be for Caesar's return. He's the type of person that has contacts everywhere, so for this to have gone so easily, means that there's another game he's playing, especially with how conniving of a person he is. I can't imagine he would give up the two things that grant him power in this world so easily, even with the separate influence he holds in the Black Market" I muttered, my gaze still focused on the printed text that verified that he had renounced his seat. I wasn't too willing to believe the black and white words, knowing the influence the sunglass-wearing weirdo had in both the news agencies and the World Government. 

"I wouldn't expect anything less of him, Lana-ya" Law stated with a hard glare at the picture of Doflamingo that had been printed alongside the article, his clenched fists crinkling the edges of the paper. With all the commotion, Zoro had woken up to our glum expressions, his eyes trained silently on both Law and I as he regarded what was being discussed. 

The tense atmosphere that had developed was broken by the ringing of the ship's Den Den Mushi, and without hesitation, Luffy picked up the receiver, barking out what had quickly become his catchphrase over the years.