nineteen.

Trigger Warnings: homophobia (lots of it!)

****

"Laur!" Scott squeals excitedly as he hugs his sister. "I missed you so much!"

"I've missed you too, Scott!" Lauren smiles as she pulls away, and then looks over at Mitch. "Hey Mitch... it's nice to see you again." She also huge him as well. "Come in!"

Scott smiles as he steps inside the house with Mitch, holding onto Mitch's hand.

"Lovely house," Mitch says as he looks around before looking over at Lauren.

"Thank you," Lauren smiles at him. "Scott, there's someone I want you to meet. Finally-" She walks into the living room and then comes back but with a child in her arms. "This is Landon. Landon, this is your uncle."

Scott gasps and walks over to him. "Hi Landon! It's nice to finally meet you!"

Lauren laughs when Landon reaches over towards Scott, and she hands him to Scott. "He's been dying to meet you ever since we video chatted that one time. I've shown him all of your videos online and everything. He knows exactly who you are. It's so cute. I wish he could have met you sooner."

"Awe, that's so cute," Scott smiles as he look at Landon.

"Uncle Tott!" Landon giggles and hugs him.

"Did he just say Tott?" Mitch asks, chuckling as he looks over at Lauren.

"He can't say his S's yet," Lauren giggles. "He's learning. Slowly but surely."

"That's okay. You can call me whatever you want. I don't care. I'm just happy to finally meet you!"

"Dinner is almost ready. I got a late start today," Lauren tells the two as they walk into the living room.

After dinner is finally ready, Scott helps Lauren set up the table while Mitch sits in the living room with Lauren's husband, Lindsey and Landon. Scott hadn't felt this happy in a long time. He loves being around his sisters. There's never any drama between them, luckily. They were super close when they were younger and luckily they were still close even after Scott couldn't see them all those years.

Scott looks up when he hears knocking at the door. "Who's that?" He asks curiously.

Lauren bites her lip as she looks over at Scott. "Um, n-nobody. Don't worry about it," she replies nervously.

A few seconds later, Mitch comes into the kitchen with a worried look on his face. He walks over to Scott, though he doesn't say anything which confuses Scott even more.

"Lauren, what's going on? Who's at the door?" Scott asks, frowning.

Lauren takes a deep breath. "I-I know you guys have bad blood with each other and you have every right to hate them for what they did to you. But I thought I would just... try to reconnect our family again."

Scott blinks a few times, and then he hears familiar voices that he hasn't heard in years. He instantly starts breathing heavily. Just the thought of seeing his parents again made him have panic attacks. He couldn't imagine what would happen if they were in the same room together.

"Scott-" Mitch tries softly, quickly grabbing a hold of Scott's arm. "Hey, Scotty? Baby, breathe..."

"N-No-" Scott quickly shakes his head. "No, no, no... no!" He cries.

"Scott, please. Let's just sit down and talk with them," Lauren says. "They won't hurt you."

"Don't lie to me!" Scott yells as tears begin to form in his eyes. "They have hurt me in the past before, and they will! They will because they don't care about their own son!" He lets out a sob.

Lauren looks up at Mitch with wide eyes, and then she looks over when her parents and Lindsey suddenly walk into the kitchen, both seeming just as shocked as Scott.

Scott looks up and locks eyes with his parents, for the first time in years. He hasn't seen them since he was a teenager. But he can clearly remember the last conversation he had with his parents.

**

"Just tell them Scotty. They're going to still love you," Lauren assures him.

"H-How do you know that?" Fifteen year old Scott asks nervously as he fiddles with his shirt.

"You're just going to have to trust me," she says softly. "Now go talk to them." She gently pushes Scott forward, closer to the living room where his parents are watching TV on the couch.

Scott takes a deep breath before walking over to the couch. "Mom? Dad?"

"Yes, sweetheart?" Connie asks as she tears her eyes away from the TV, looking at Scott.

"I need to talk to you. It's about something important," Scott says, sitting down on the chair.

"Oh? Is everything alright at school?" Rick asks, also looking at Scott.

Scott sighs. Of course his dad would ask about school. "Yes dad, everything is fine at school. It's not about school. It's about me," he says. "I..." He takes a deep breath. "I want to tell you that... I'm gay."

It's silent for a moment, and Scott is worried about what they're going to say.

"No," Rick finally says. He looks over at Scott. "You're just confused, Scott. You're not gay."

"I'm not confused, and I am gay. Very gay, in fact. I have a boyfriend. His name is Alex," Scott says.

"Scott," Rick warns. "No son of mine will be gay, do you understand me?"

Scott gasps at his harsh tone. "D-Dad?" He asks as his eyes begin to water up. "Mom-"

Rick stands up from the couch. "Either you're confused, or I am disowning you. Which one will it be?"

"Mom, you can't let him do this!" Scott cries as he looks over at his mom.

"Scott, you know I love you but..." Connie sighs and shakes his head. "It's just not natural. You're supposed to grow up, find yourself a nice girl and get married, and have children. It's not that hard."

"N-No. Th-That's not who I am. I will never marry a girl. I'm going to marry Alex!" Scott yells.

"You have 3 seconds to go to your room before I beat the gay out of you," Ricky warns angrily.

Scott lets out a whimper and runs out of the living room as fast as he can.

"How did it-?" Lauren blinks a few times as she watches Scott run up the stairs, not saying a word to her.

"Where did we go wrong?" Rick asks, shaking his head. "We can't be associated with someone like him!"

"Well, what do you suggest we do, Rick?" Connie asks as she looks up at her husband.

Rick looks back at Connie and sighs. "We pack up the girls and leave," he says with no hesitation.

"And leave Scott here all by himself?" Connie asks, frowning. "He's just a teenager, Rick."

"Let the boy starve, be homeless. I don't care! People like him should not exist," Rick scoffs.

Connie sighs in defeat. "Alright. We'll leave," she says before standing up.

**

Scott gasps when he feels someone shake him.

"Scott!"

Scott blinks a few times and looks over at Mitch before looking back at his parents.

"What is he doing here?" Rick asks angrily.

"Dad, Scott is our brother... and you can't keep up from seeing him anymore. We make our own decisions,"

"Stop!" Scott yells before running out of the living room.

Mitch gasps. "Scott!" He immediately runs after him, not wanting Scott to run off by himself.

Lauren sighs and shakes her head. "Well, that didn't go as plan..." she mumbles.