Confident

Everyone knew Y/N and that was the way she liked it. She was the new girl in town, successfully taking that title from Veronica. The H/C English girl was a mystery to the people living in Riverdale.

She had moved to Riverdale around three weeks after Clifford Blossom had killed himself and she had gladly taken the limelight from the Blossom family. Cheryl had quickly taken the new girl under her wing and had tried to make her one of her 'minions'. This didn't work for a multitude of reasons. The two had become fast friends and Cheryl was finally happy again. A few weeks passed and a certain dark haired boy had caught Y/N's interest.

"Y/N," Cheryl taps the E/C eyed girl on the shoulder.

"Yes?" The girl replies crossing her arms over her chest.

Cheryl smiles sweetly at the girl, "You need to try out and become a River Vixen with me." Y/N's eyes widen and fear overruns her normally calm persona.

"Uh," She stutters, "Why do I need to become a cheerleader exactly?" Y/N calms herself and brings her confidence level back up.

"Because," Cheryl says as if that's a good enough answer.

"I don't know, Cher," The girl's eyes move over the cafeteria and they land on Jughead Jones the Third.

"Is this about the Hobo?" She asks, Y/N's eyes snap back to her a certain flame in them making Cheryl regret her choice of words, "I mean, if you like him, he'll find you extra hot if you're a Vixen."

The girls face pales, "I can't be a cheerleader Cheryl." The girl spins and walks away from a stunned Cheryl.

A few days pass and the girls still haven't spoken. Y/N had taken up residence sitting by herself, although still looking confident. Cheryl had tried to talk to the H/C girl but Y/N wouldn't give her the time of day.

"Hello, Sad Breakfast Club," Cheryl greets Archie, Veronica, Betty, Kevin and Jughead.

"What do you want Cheryl?" Veronica is quick to ask, Cheryl face softens.

"As much as this pains me to say," She sucks in a breath, "I need your help."

A gasp falls from Kevin's lips. "You want our help?" Betty asks confusion laced through her voice. Cheryl closes her eyes and nods her head.

"Why?" Jughead asks.

"As you all know, Y/N and I are best friends," Cheryl's eyes rake over the group, "I made an insensitive comment and now she won't talk to me."

"What does this have to do with us?" Ronnie questions.

"She likes Jughead," Cheryl says softly, "And the comment I made was about him."

"What?" Jughead asks, eyes wide.

"Oh no," Cheryl gasps, "Please don't tell her I told you."

The group exchange glances and stand up, "We'll help you Cheryl," Betty says placing her hand on the gingers shoulder, "But you have to trust us."

Cheryl nods her head rapidly, "I just want my best friend to talk to me again."

Meanwhile, Y/N had been sitting by herself reading a book. The group approached her, all but Cheryl and Jughead.

"Hey Y/N/N," Ronnie greeted sitting next to the girl. Y/N's eyebrows furrow as she looks around the group.

"Uh-h," The girl stutters confused. "I mean, not to be rude, but can I help you guys?"

Betty smiles and laughs. "Well because you asked, we know something happened between you and Cheryl and we want to help."

The E/C eyes that belonged to Y/N widen and fear courses through them, "Nothing happened between me and Cheryl," The girl mutters and without saying another word she stands up and walks away.

A few days pass in the same fashion, the group continue to approach the girl. Cheryl and Jughead begin to work together to create a plan.

"Why are you ignoring me?" Jughead asks Y/N. He slams his hand down on the table she's sat at drawing attention towards them. She doesn't answer. "You know Cheryl told us everything. Everything of your past, your time with her, she told us all of it." She looks up at him fire burning in her E/C eyes.

"She told me about how you like me and about how you're actually unconfident and afraid."

Her eyes water.

"Cheryl told me about what happened before you moved here, about your ex-boyfriend and what he did,"

Gasps echo around the student lounge.

"Why are you doing this?" The girl hisses. Her hands ball up under the table.

"Because, as long as you've been here, Cheryl has cared about you, and when things got hard for you, you left her." His eyes challenge hers.

"Why do you care? You hate Cheryl, you despise her. Why do you care about the fact that I left her," She stands up, kicking her chair back, in an attempt to match his height.

"Because I care about you," He says simply.

"Why?" She challenges.

"I remember the same things you do," The eyes of their peers can be felt but neither of them back down, "I remember the moment under the tree."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Y/N adverts her gaze.

"Yes you do," He challenges, moving around the table so that he's standing within arms reach of her. He lifts he face to meet his gaze. Their eyes meet.

"Whats your point Jughead?" The girl says stepping back from him.

"Let people in," he shrugs.

The girl shakes her head, "If you know of my past so well you'll understand why i won't do that."

"I don't expect you to," He says simply, "But let Cheryl in. Let me in."

Tears gather in Y/N's eyes and she collapses, before she hits the ground Jughead's arms are around her hushing her. He cradles her.

"There's nothing to see here!" Cheryl shouts. All of the people that were watching Jughead and Y/N scurry away leaving Jughead, Y/N, Cheryl, And the rest of the group in the student lounge. Jughead lifts her chin he runs his fingers under her eyes drying her tears.

"Thank you," She whispers burying her face in his chest again.