he whom we refer to as "aphex"

The time is 7:24 pm, shortly after Steven (though, we'll refer to this second Steven as "Aphex" from now on) finished up their news report (and the live broadcast) of the shenanigans that went down at city hall. As soon as they had finished up at the news station, he dragged his co-worker Bryce, who is pretty much your cliche pretty, happy news anchor, out to the arcade so they could finally have that Pac Man competition they've been talking about. They don't really bother changing out of their work clothes- knowing this damned city, they'll be called back within an hour or so.

“Hold on, hold on,” Bryce whines. “These shoes are so freaking uncomfortable, I can't run like that!”

Aphex laughs, already having made it to one of the Pac-Man machines. “Well, take them off then!”

“I can't! Who just walks around in socks like it's normal?! You know how many places say ‘no shoes, no shirt, no service?!’ I need my services!” Bryce has made it to the other game machine-thing next to Aphex, and shoots Aphex a glare for having already started while he puts in the money to play.

He doesn't really pay attention to Bryce's glare. Aphex is too focused on the game, because the shitty orange ghost keeps following him like it's not going to kill him. In fact, it isn't until he beats the level that he speaks. “So? Who would care? You're only the best news caster- guy in the fucking state! I doubt people would care if you walked around without shoes! They’d be too amazed by how tall you are to care.”

“I'm not that tall- oh crap,” Bryce gasps. “Maybe- maybe you're just too short to live.”

Aphex bursts out into laughter. “Oh my god, of all the comebacks, that's what you choose?”

“Yes! I'm focusing very very hard, and… oh, hold on!” Bryce grabs his phone from his pocket at the same time Aphex’s phone vibrates in his own.

He quickly pulls it out and glances at the notification on the screen.

Break in at City hall. The camera van is outside, Sark in there instead of Adam. Adam got into a car crash earlier today, so Sark will have to do. Treat him nicely.

"Well..." Bryce doesn't even bother finishing his sentence. Aphex can't blame him.

"Yeah. Had a nice ten minutes here," Aphex sighs. "Man, I better be getting overtime for this."

Bryce laughs. "You get paid for that? Dude, they have me on a salary."

They both laugh as they exit the arcade, sliding into the seats of the van. Sark grins at them, hardly giving Aphex time to close the door before driving off.

"You guys ready to go shoutcast some juicy-ass drama?"

--

"... And now back to you, Jason," Bryce finishes with a picture perfect smile.

Aphex is struggling to keep Bryce in the camera with this wind. Sark is there for support or whatever, Aphex doesn't really know what. He turns the camera off at Sark's signal, sighing in relief.

He can't help but laugh as Bryce shivers, hurrying back into the van. Sark helps him begin to put the equipment away, the three beginning a casual conversation while doing so.

"So what was the point of us coming out here? What will us telling the city about a break-in do?" Aphex can't help but ask the question that's been on his mind all day.

Sark cackles. "Obviously we're evil reporters paid by the government to distract them from the real issues. Like, get a life you fucking cock suckers!"

Aphex laughs. "Yeah, yeah. Obviously. How dare we make the people panic over caffeine." He smiles to himself as he leans against the side of the van, pulling out his phone and grinning at his lock screen. "Aw, my mom found a picture of me in high school."