Chapter 1

Their eyes inspected me, constantly, one by one, always inspecting me. It was like they were a pack of starving lions and I was a weak gazelle; they were examining the best way to attack me- and I was doing nothing. Clueless me just stood there motionless in front of the gates of my new school and I must have just looked stupid, I mean all I had to do is take one small step. So why could I not do it?

The lions began to grow in their numbers, beginning to surround me and now the stupid gazelle just stood there. So I took a deep breath in and took that stupid step- than the other foot. Finally I was in! Oh, god that stupid gazelle had just stepped into the den of a thousand lions (or more!)- Now I was most certainly stuck here.                          

I rushed about trying to escape from the crowd developing at the other side of the pavement consequently standing in a muddle because I forgot to look where I was going. Stupid gazelle, I knew one thing though- I had to find the reception.

That’s what mum had said ‘all you’ve got to do is find the main reception.’ Well that was typical, she had said that this morning when I wouldn’t leave (and I wish I hadn’t). Furthermore she said no-one would even notice I was new, God, she was so wrong! For one- I was the only pupil with a spotless uniform (except my now wet socks and shoes), two- I’m the one too nervous to even step into a harmless school’s gates and three- everyone notices when a new girl appears half way through the school year.

I found a crocked sign- it read- Main reception this way (and an arrow pointing down) – so I followed the directions, I found the crumbled, tall building and followed another sign which led me down some creaky stairs. Why did these stair have to send the attention this way when they creaked. Creak…

Ow, that hurt. God the stupid gazelle just fell down the stairs- OMG! I’m just so stupid and so clumsy. I’m a pathetic gazelle and now everyone in the room is staring at me aren’t they?

I looked up, watery eyes only let me see a few blurry things, and then it happened. I looked up and suddenly felt a hand comfort and support my back, and then I saw the most ocean blue eyes. The eye and hands were linked and my eyes began to clear.

“Thank you, sorry- I just fell” I muttered.

“It’s ok. Be careful in the future” his voice was so… amazing.

It was ruff but also gorgeous and I knew in that minute that my dumb gazelle fall was the best thing to happen to me today.

He gave me a hand up than ran up the stairs and left me standing (wobbly) in the middle of the room.

“Hello dear, are you ok?” The woman sitting behind the reception desk smiled as she spoke- she had a lovely accent, it was pure Scottish.

“I’m fine thanks”

“Can I help you then dear?” I loved her accent!

“Um… yes I’m new- where should I go”

“One wee second dear, I’ll find you on the computer.” The woman began to search her computer but I couldn’t have cared less- who was he? That guy. I had to know who he was.

“Ah… you’re not on the list. Are you sure your new today, love?” She asked kindly but did she think I was stupid. Of course I was new today!

“Yes, I’m Elliot Parker”

The receptionist squinted funny; she was studying everything about me. What was her problem? Had the stupid gazelle done something stupid?

“No! Elliot’s a unisex name!” I was shocked- did she think I was a boy? Insult.

I was a total girl, with a naturally blonde plait as long as my hips and a feminine walk. Complete Insault.

“Oh, I’m so sorry love. Yes Elliot Parker. Year 8”

The receptionist (who was totally embarrassed about the whole unisex name thing) passed me a map of the senior school where she’d circled my tutor room and colour coded the blocks.

“Thank you” I took the map and began to stumble back up the stairs and out of the building. Great, now I had to face the lions.