6: baby dreams

(Jasper POV)

It was impossible, I couldn't give Paige what she wanted. It hurt me. But yet even if it was possible, the child wouldn't be human would it not fully anyway since I'm a Vampire.

She fell asleep on the car ride back home, her head rested against the cool window glass, her small plump lips pursed her long thick eye lashes causing shadows on her pale sun tanned skin, I smiled at her.

If I never had Paige, I don't think I'd know where I'd be right now. I may of never stayed in forks I soon pulled up outside the infamous Cullen household, I hesitated if I should wake her up or not. I decided on not, she will need all the rest she can get if she has her first round of treatment tomorrow.

I got out the car silently, I speedily walked to the passenger side I opened the door her head lolled back on the car seat head rest, I easily scooped her up in my arms, she was quite short but not heavy...not to a Vampire anyway, not saying she's fat or overweight in anyway!.

I soundlessly carried her upstairs, "jazz" Paige mumbled tiredly "mmm yes darlin?" I asked quietly walking in our room, "baby" Paige said softly before drifting back to sleep, Paige never called me baby or babe, she said it was dumb. So I know she meant an actual baby. I bit my lip I gently laid her on our bed as not to disturb her.

She nuzzled the pillow falling deeper into her sleep, I sat on the edge of our bed watching her sleep pondering about why Paige wants a baby so much. Not that I don't like children in my human life I was the eldest of my mother and I had 3 younger siblings, with faded cloudy memories I know I enjoyed my time with them.

But also I can't trust myself not now, not that I'm a Vampire and a baby is defenceless and so innocent and pure and if I ever harmed one...I don't know what I would do with myself.

A soft single knock sounded on the door I looked away from Paige to see Edward he was hesitant to walk in I was so protective of Paige everyone knew there limits between the space they could have between me and Paige, I gave a smile of reassurance he took 5 paces in the room seating himself on the floor "you shouldn't think so bad of yourself" Edward advised "it's not just that" I sighed.

Edward read my mind, he glanced at Paige a soft smile on his lips as my bloodsinger comfortably slept soundlessly only small huffs of small breaths every now and again. "She really wants a child with you" Edward said "what is she dreaming about then?" I asked a clear thin line of frustration in my tone. "Holding a newborn, making a fuss of the infant, radiant happiness, your in her dream just as happy as she is" Edward informed her emotions were clear enjoyment of the dream. I sighed heavily "out of all the things she wants the most, she wants the thing I can't give her" I complained quietly.

"It may not be as impossible as you think" Edward said "talk to Carlise when you have the time...but if you want to 'forget' the subject maybe something that shares the same qualities as an infant and Emmett isn't useful... perhaps a pet?" Edward chuckled "no, Emmett got her a kitten, it only claims her affection and attention for a short period of time before the grey fluff ball finds something else" I sighed.

"Then I don't know" Edward shrugged, "you was no help at all" I muttered "it's a difficult situation Jasper, just talk it through with Paige I'm sure she is very understanding, well if she is gracious of our kind and we're supposedly myths I'm sure this won't be so difficult" Edward assured before walking out the room.

I glanced at Paige, the glance turned into a adoring stare in awe of my girlfriend, it still stuns me that someone so sweet and so kind would want to be with someone like me. I tried so many to prove how cold and mean I was to her I countlessly tried to scare her, but she always came back but I'm glad she did I'd be lost without her.

Her hands were tucked under the pillow pressing the side of her face against the pillow her legs curled and tucked against her stomach; a smile on her lips but I knew the reason why and the realisation will hit her when she wakes up and realizes she can't have what she so desperately wants and what I do desperately want to give her.

Her long hair causing a few curly strands in her face, her small plump lips pursed slightly but still stretched into a smile her big dimples denting her cheeks. I listened to her heart beat mentally counting each one and embracing it never knowing when it could be her last.

She reached out, in her sleep a frown falling on her face "jazzy?" Paige whimpered this normally happened when a dream of hers turned sour. "It's okay sweetheart I'm here" I soothed laying down next to her, she naturally rested her head on my chest, she was slightly shorter than Alice and this made her practically tiny especially if she stood next to Emmett. Her small body curled against mine.

Her head rested on my chest, my hands slowly brushing through her hair causing her to drift back to sleep I placed a soft kiss to her forehead. Her breathing didn't turn slow or shallow and this meant she hadn't fallen back to sleep "wanna talk?" I asked she sniffed and bit her lip before looking at me.

"It's never going to happen" she mumbled "it was so real...the dream was so real and it won't happen it's not reality" Paige whispered, I sucked in a breath deciding on a appropriate answer to my bloodsinger  sorrows.

"I'm going to propose something, I'll talk to Carlise...and see if it is even the slightest bit possible...and if it is well I'll try, I hate the effect it's having on ya...it's breaking you and I only wanna see ya happy" I said a small gasp escaped her lips. "J.. Jasper....I don't know what to..say!" Paige stuttered a huge grin that I've missed for a while appeared on her lips. She hugged me tightly "thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!" Paige whispered repeatedly in my ear.