First Day

Normani

"You nervous baby?" My granny asked. I fix my top and look in the mirror. "Um, a little, but my main goal is to graduate."

"Yes but don't forget to have fun as well." She pats my shoulder. Then I heard her sigh. "What's wrong granny?" She chuckles. "I just can't believe you dyed your hair blue." I gasp dramatically.

"You don't like it?" I smirk. She just shakes her head. "Dinah is picking you up by the way." "Why?" I ask. It's not that I have a problem it's just....why. "I don't know, maybe because you don't have a car." She says sarcastically.

"Fine, but when can I get my cars." I ask referring to the cars I had back home. "Well technically, you only can get one." I turn to look at her. "What do you mean only one, last time I heard I have three cars."

"You better tone it down, because I ain't one of your little friends. You understand me?" She says. "Yes." I hold my head down. "Yes what?" I look at her. "Yes ma'am." I say. "Now before your little attitude, I was trying to say that until you are legal and don't need a guardian, you can only have one of those three cars." She says and I sigh.

Wow that's a let down. "Okay granny." "Good, now go eat breakfast before Dinah gets hear." I nod and gather my things so I don't have to come back upstairs. "By the way," My granny says as we head down the steps.

"Dinah is not very good when it comes to time." I tilt my head in confusion, but I let it go and head downstairs to eat my breakfast.

****

I start to realize what granny meant by Dinah not be good with time and I didn't have her number to call her.

I wash the dishes since granny already left. After about ten more minutes of waiting, I seriously contemplate whether to call an uber. That is until, I hear the doorbell. I get up and look through the peephole.

I swing the door open ready to give a few choice words, but I stop when I see her. "You dyed your hair." Is the first thing that leaves out of my mouth. "U-um y-yeah, well I took your advice and only dyed a little, but I think I'm g-going to to dye it all soon- why are you looking at me like that?" "Oh sorry, you just look different." I say. "Well ye-yeah kinda the point. Your hair looks nice too." She says and I smile. shyly.

"Thanks

"Thanks. Um can we go, I don't want to be late on my first day." I say as I go get my bag from the table. "S-sure you're not g-gonna be late though, school doesn't start till eight-twenty." She tells me. "Yeah but what about traffic?" I ask as I close the door behind me.

"Well I-I take b-back rodes so that shouldn't be a problem." I nod my head as we head to her car. "Okay."
The ride was mostly quite, only the music playing. I was thinking about school and the people. I hope they liked me. I mean obviously I'm not going to change for them, but I still would like some friends. I'm sure

Dinah has her own flock or whatever. I look over to her and she was bobbing her head to whatever was on the radio.

"Dinah, you aren't nervous?" I ask as I turn to her. "U-um no not really. T-this is my third year here, so it's nothing new to me. Why are you?" "Um, maybe a little. I just- I don't know." "I totally get it, and you're gonna be fine. Even if you don't make one friend, y-you got me." She says and I can't help but smile.

We end up having a nice conversation. She's not so bad. We make it on time and we had time to spare. She shows me to most of my classes, but we end up having to go to advisory for first period and technically my last name is Hamilton and hers is Hansen. We ended up with the same advisory.

The teacher made me stand up and introduce myself. They all were surprisingly nice...sorta. The boys gave me weird looks, but that's nothing new. For the rest of the time I was in there, I had to fill out forms and all sorts of bew student information. When the bell rung, my first period was Literature. It was pretty much the same all day, mostly no homework, I made new friends but that was because of cheerleading. I'd like to say that's progress.

Dinah's little speech may have helped as well.