Prologue

A young girl looks out at a crowd of her fellow graduates, a giant smile plastered on her porcelain face, as the director of her program calls out the names of people she's gotten to know over the many years she's been a grad student. The bright lighting of the New York University auditorium reflects against her soft red hair, which, for what feels like the first time, is perfectly curled in loose ringlets down her back. The girl catches the eye of Anthony, her brother, a man with light brown hair and intelligent green eyes. He smiles encouragingly and gives her a thumbs up. When he hears her name called, he lets out a loud whoop and holds up the sign he spent the day making. "Congratulations, little sis'," one line of golden glitter reads. Under that is a smaller line of text in silver glitter that reads, "Future FBI agent."

"Serena Gibson, a double major in criminology and law enforcement!" Serena crosses the stage slowly, having to carefully balance in the silver heels chosen to offset her pale skin. The director of her program, Eliza Trinity, lists of her accomplishments with a familiar twinkle in her eye, a strong sense of pride bursting in the esteemed woman's chest. As the director speaks, Anthony fights back tears of pride. Serena receives her diploma, shakes the director's hand, and begins to return to her seat. The woman catches sight of her brother's tears. Her very expression is that of playful mockery. Anthony shakes his head, rolling his eyes, as he knows his sister won't let his display of emotion go anytime soon.

The ceremony proceeds on and Mrs. Trinity speaks grandly about the promise of the graduates before her, pausing a few times to dab at her eyes. "I have never been more amazed by the promise of the students graduating from my program. I have watched these students grow and change over the past six years and I can't help thinking, 'the future before us is bright, as long as these young people are the leaders I expect them to become,'" the woman pauses, tucks a lock of long brown hair behind her ear, and sighs, "This world is an amazing place and the criminology majors here may argue otherwise, but I have one piece of advice for you all: 'don't lose faith in humanity.' Don't lose the positive outlook I know you all have, it is the only thing that sets you apart from the criminals you'll hunt."

Serena listens to the director with a more emotive smile now, the words hitting home for her in a way she could never have expected. She looks over at Anthony and sees tears glistening against his cheek.

Anthony, meanwhile, is moved by both the director's speech and the momentous event in his younger sister's life. He has never considered the difference between the agents that hunt the criminals and the criminals themselves and hearing Mrs. Trinity's perspective on it gives him a new way to look at his work. He pulls out his phone discreetly and texts his work partner, Cynthia, "Don't lose faith in humanity because it's the only thing that sets you apart from the criminals you hunt." He then puts his phone away and turns his attention back to the ceremony.

The ceremony ends after some time and Anthony makes his way out after the line of graduates exit. He scans the crowd of people in identical caps and gowns for the copper red hair of his little sister. "Anthony!" that familiar voice calls with a lilt of joyous energy. He spins around on his heel to face Serena.

"Hey!" he exclaims as she runs towards him, holding her heels in one hand now, and throws herself into his arms. "I am so proud of you!"

Serena's face changes as she pulls back from his embrace. "Proud enough to, uh, cry?" her words full of laughter, her joy and energy seeming to light up the crowded room almost as much as her confident smile is.

Anthony scoffs and rolls his eyes. "I was not crying," he laughs, linking arms with Serena as they start towards his black 1969 Camaro.

"Oh, really?" Serena laughs, looking up at him with wide, admiring eyes. "Are you sure about that? Because your eyes are red."

"They are not," he objects with a light chuckle. "Do you want to go get dinner or something?"

"Sounds good, if," she punches his arm, "You admit you were crying."

"Fine, I was crying," he gives in, "I'm not made of stone, now am I?" He shakes his head, clearly amused. "How often do I tell you I love you?"

Serena shrugs before saying, "Every day, it's kind of implied." They then get into his car. "What do you want to get for dinner?" she asks, digging through her purse for the compact she carried with her to make sure her makeup hasn't been messed up.

"It's your night; you decide," it's rare for Anthony to let Serena decide what they eat, so she jumps at the opportunity to go to her favorite restaurant.

"Ruth Christ," she names before changing the subject, "I started my application for that internship with the bureau."

"Did you now?" Anthony quirks an eyebrow, smile changing to something more serious, more intense than before. Serena nods before she turns to look out the window of the car at the New York cityscape. The lights reflect in her eyes, revealing an innocence and naivety lurking beneath the surface of her light colored eyes. The golden lights soften her face and make her seem much younger than the twenty-seven-year-old she is. Her whole demeanor seems to change as she loses herself in the awe of the Big Apple at night; she becomes quiet and full of a gentle happiness one can't help but find peace in.

"What's it like?" she asks somewhat dreamily, "I've always wondered and you've told me stories, but I can't imagine being a part of it...being right there, working hand in hand with the agents I've admired and looked up to in my studies."

"It's intense, to say the least," Anthony murmurs, "Both in a positive and negative way."

"What's your favorite part of it?" Serena has asked that same question more times than Anthony can count, but he always answers differently; he can never settle on an aspect of the job that's his absolute favorite. He does too much, has too many different experiences under his belt to describe any single part each time she asks that question.

"Hmm," he hums, questioning himself. "Probably the trust I have with my team," he says with a definite nod, "It's the most intense feeling I've ever had...you put your life in these people's hands every day, without even questioning it. I mean, my partner and I are symbiotic, in a way. We make each other better, make each other greater. If it weren't for her being so strong and pushing me to be better, I wouldn't be half the agent I am now. I owe everything to her." Serena listens with rapt attention even as he begins rambling about his best friend and work partner and the close bond they have. His words serving to light a fire of motivation in her, he stops himself when he notices the somewhat dreamy expression on his sister's face. "But don't get the idea that this job is all sunshine and rainbows, Serena. People get hurt, they die, we lose track of the suspects we're hunting, we get there too late; we see the worst humanity has to offer on a daily basis. I'm not trying to romanticize what we do because it's not a romantic job. It's a lot of paperwork and research and guesswork and," he shakes his head, "And hoping you're not wrong."

"It sounds like it has its ups and downs like any other job," she responds, brushing a lock of hair out of her eyes.

"It does, but..." he laughs, "You probably don't want to hear about the nitty gritty right now; you're filling out an application...it's a bit too late for all this, isn't it?"

"It's not like you're trying to tell me not to join the bureau, so go ahead," she waves him off.

"I think we're past that point, in all honesty, Serena. I've been trying to tell you not to go into this for years and if my horror stories haven't dissuaded you by now, nothing will," he laughs again, but his words couldn't be more serious. "This job has its ups and downs, but you're putting your life on the line every day and running the risk you don't come home. Are you willing to tempt fate every day you go to work?"