↳ 45: WHAT RED CUPS DO

"GRYFFINDOR CHAMPIONS, LIONS ROAR!" THE entirety of the fifth year to seventh year students cheered at the Prewett twins who stood on the table in the middle of the common room. It was clear what they were celebrating — another Gryffindor win against the Ravenclaws.

         It was near midnight but the party was still going. Poor first to fourth years weren't allowed to join — which was the basic rule to every Gryffindor underground party ever since.

         "We are not supposed to be encouraging this," Lily grumbled, looking around the noisy and crazy common room. Her eyes settled on Frank and Sirius having a drink off and it made her head shake, "We're Head Boy and Head Girl, James."

         "Oh, lighten up a bit," James grinned and aloofly wrapped his arms around Lily's shoulder. "We won the game. Your boyfriend led his team to victory. Aren't you proud of me?"

         "Of being both Head Boy and Quidditch Team Captain, yes, I am, very," said Lily. Then, she gingerly lifted his arm off of her, making the lad frown. "But you're being an irresponsible Head Boy and Quidditch Team Captain and I am not proud of that."

         "Oh, come on, love," James cooed, sliding his hand from her elbows down to her hands and then intertwining them. "Everyone is having a blast."

         "Everyone but me," Lily said, removing her hand from his. She took a step back and her heart broke a little at how James' face immediately looked glum and hurt. But her dignity mattered, too, not just her love for him. She crossed his arms and said, "I'm sorry but I don't want to be accused of promoting this. You know I have never agreed with these underground parties since we were first invited to them back in fifth year."

         It was true. Lily either didn't come or just came to keep her friends in check. She never approved of the parties — which was to be expected from her, of course. James' eyebrows furrowed. "Can't you just be happy and celebrate with me? I want my girlfriend to be supportive of me."

         "And I want my boyfriend to not be so immature," James clenched his jaw — you know he's mad when he clenches his jaw.

         "What do you want me to do? Just stop the party?" James said, his voice risen lightly because of the noise around. "Wouldn't that be selfish? To stop this just because you don't want it?"

         "It's not that I don't want it. It's because it's not right." Lily said back firmly.

         "Why can't you just live a little?"

         "Why can't you just be responsible?" James clicked his tongue at that response. Lily grimaced and finished, "This is probably why you and Freya didn't work out."

         James opened his mouth to say something but Lily only muttered a, "I'm going to bed. You're on your own." and already turned around and walked away. James bit the inside of his cheek and made an annoyed sound, clearly his joyous mood was changed. He ran his hands across his hair in frustration before leaving the common room.

         On the other side of the room, Freya and Mary were laughing their heads off at a joke Marlene had made. The three all held cups full of butterbeer.

         "Honestly though, Marlene, you were amazing out there earlier," Mary said after their laughter died down.

         "I second that," Freya grinned. "The way you caught the snitch was remarkable."

         Marlene made a small bow and said in a posh accent, "Thank you, ladies," and it resulted in another fit of laughter. But all three heads turned when a loud cheering went on from the fireplace.