fifty-six | in love

For once, the two young adults don't have the kids

For once, the two young adults don't have the kids. It was nothing to do with their child watching skills or anything, but Caroline and Liam had decided that they wanted a day with the girls and Keegan, leaving Cody and Reyna to their own defenses after dropping Reese off for his flight. Since they had spent so much time with the kids since they had arrived in Australia, they hadn't had time to actually go on any dates or do much sightseeing [other than the beaches and parks the kids wanted to visit]. So Cody had asked her out on a date and decided to surprise her with the destination, even though she was the one driving. He'd just spout off the directions while looking at his phone.

"You know," she says as she pulls into the parking lot of the zoo, "I figured out where we were going like half an hour ago, right?"

"What?" he whines, pouting as she turns the car off and smiles lovingly at him.

"This is one of the girls' favorite places to go. I'm surprised they haven't begged for a trip here yet."

He sighs, lacing their fingers together and squeezing her hand, "You could have told me that so I didn't have to keep following the dumb GPS."

"Yeah, but you were so damn cute, I wanted to cherish that for a bit," she grins, leaning over and giving him a quick kiss. "Now come on! I wanna go see some animals."

And so the two of them slide out of the car and make their way to the entrance of the zoo. Cody pays for their entrance and they get their hands stamped, then into the zoo they go. Being out and about in Australia is such a different experience for them than in America. None of the people in the zoo ambush them, just smile and nod. A few girls grin widely and wave to them from across the penguin exhibit and Reyna easily waves back, not caring that that could cause an uproar [but it doesn't]. Then she pulls him away, towards the giraffes, so that she can feed them by hand. He grins, watching her as a wide and genuine smile spreads across her face when the giraffe she was feeding licks up her whole arm. She doesn't even notice when he snaps a few photos of the exchange.

Once she's done there, he pulls her to a food booth and buys them both lunch. She convinces him that they should eat it by an exhibit and in her own sense of irony, she pulls them to the wolf exhibit. He laughs, but they sit down on the benches and balance their food on their laps as they look out over the small pack of wolves enclosed in the exhibit. Her left hand finds a resting spot on his thigh as she shoves fries into her mouth.

"We have to go home soon," she notes, almost sadly.

"We have the whole day to stay out?" Cody replies, quirking an eyebrow as he turns to face her.

"I meant California," she says, letting out one muffled snort as she looks to him. "We can't stay in Australia forever."