Yokai..What Are We?

Definition of Yokai: Various supernatural monsters that mainly appear in Japanese folk lore. There are many varieties. Some bring calamity, some bring good fortune. And this is probably the only definition you'll find in a book that tells you they exist.

This is pulled straight from the handbook of the Yokai Hunters Academy...

This is what is known about modern day yokai so far...

1. Yokai stem from the massive emotional output usually by humans, while they may innitially have evil, good, or nuetral intentions depending on the circumstances of their creation, they are subject to change like any other intelligent being with true will.

2. All Yokai are intelligent, even the ones who gain the appearences of animals or objects. While some may act unintelligent or animal-like, do not be fooled. The average Yokai's intelligence either equals or exceeds that of the average human.

3. Despite what myths say, humans cannot become Yokai. The reason for a Yokai's human ressemblence to perhaps once actual humans, is because they might have stemmed from the intense emotions of that person, therefore gaining their appearence. Some Yokai commonly known for resembling their human counterparts, are Yuki-Onna and some varieties of Tengu.

4. There are only 7 instances of Yokai ever mating with humans and producing a half yokai child. These Yokai offspring are known as the 7 Bridges.

The third strongest of the Seven Bridges is none other then Laura Riswaldo, code named, the Chained Maiden.

Tapei, Taiwan...10:00 PM.

Despite what mortals think...there is no such thing as an ordinary night...not from the perspective of those who might be reading this book anyways. However, if by some chance, one of you are the few people who live in this world of strange spirits and creatures that inhabit our world in plane sight, in the world of this book...then from your perspective this is all extremely normal.

Down in an old alleyway, not that everything didn't look old in Taipei, a strange turtle-like humanoid creature ran noisely through, knocking over trashcans as he went, panick seeming to rise from his very sweat.

This creature was a Kappa...and no, he is not a ninja who lives in the sewer with a rat that knows ninjutsu. Kappas were water demons...Yokai.

The Kappa's webbed feet slapped across the asphalt like a wet flipper. He constantly looked over his shoulder as to be certain that the one chasing him wasn't following. In that moment, he had to jump to the side of the alley as a girl on a motorized scooter zoomed by.

Traffic in Taiwan was like trying to walk through a stampede of blind velociraptors. Most people rode scooters or motorcycles. And the laws on riding motorcycles were so lax in the city, that even if you had a walk light, you still had to watch out in case somebody decided to be a jerk ride out in front of you at 10 miles above the limit.

The Kappa looked behind him again, breathing hard. "Good...I must have lost her. "

"Lost me? Awe come on..don't tell me you're selling me that short."

The kappa cursed and looked up to see a girl standing on top of a shed. She had a black leather jacket, black jeans and a black leather beret. Her smooth black hair was cut to a medium short length and her irises were a bright red.

This girl was named Laura Riswaldo...and she was part Yokai.

"Well well well." said Laura with a grin. "If it isn't the supposed water demon whose been causing so much trouble to those children at the pool lately."